Probably a stupid vegan question ?

I'm vegetarian trying to go full vegan. Probably a stupid question, but is it bad to eat gumbo avoiding the meats ? Or is that not a very vegan thing to do ? Lol (by the way, for those not familiar with Cajun cooking, gumbo is like a chicken and sausage stew soup..much better than it sounds though)

Favorite Answer

If it has touched the meat, it isn't vegan.

It still contains some of the juices that have seeped into the meal but its fine. I do it when I go to friends place and pick the meat out of spaghetti sauces and chillies. I do my best to avoid it but its easier than having a separate meal. It's also not a stupid question, and it is a vegan thing to do, many vegans still slip up very now and then around the holidays, the important thing is not to hold it against yourself. Its fine so long as it doesn't happen every day

It was still cooked with meat, so not very vegan, technically. There are probably a thousand and one, or at least 3 (LOL) recipes out there for vegan gumbo, friend. Just look them up. Anything can be made vegan with the right replacement oils and cream/milk substitutes. Just put a lot of veg in it and dig in.

• Russell4 years agoReport

I asked cause someone else invited me to a gumbo. So it isn't my own cooking. But I'll look into these vegan gumbos.

Simply picking the chicken and sausage out of a traditional gumbo recipe would not be vegan. The meat juices are throughout the dish. Gumbo is also often made with chicken stock, which would also be throughout the dish. You'd have to make a gumbo with vegetable broth and leave out chicken, sausage, shrimp, etc., which will lose most of the what-makes-it-gumbo flavor.

As a last resort I'll just pick around animal products on a plate. But only if I'm cornered in a dinner or something and this is what I'm served and there's not really another option.

I'd never elect to have meat on my plate and I wouldn't ever buy it, but I won't make a fuss about if someone puts it there. I just won't eat it.

• Picking around the meat is not vegetarian, much less vegan. And the soup may have been made with a meat stock, meaning it's not vegetarian.

Skip the gumbo.

If you're making it yourself or going out to eat and cooking with/ordering meat, you might as well just eat it. The animal has already been killed, it's already been cooked, the damage is done.

If it's someone else cooking for guests and you don't want to be an inconvenience or it's not feasible to ask them to make something vegetarian/vegan friendly, then it'll probably be easier on your soul to just eat around it.

If you want to go vegan having the broth from meats is NOT cool thing to do!! As a vegetarian it is up to you what you eat or don't eat. But being a Cajun, not eating the gumbo is not Cool either!!

• Louis

You can make a vegan gumbo. I have a couple of times. there are some great vegetarian sausages in the grocery store.

I don't know what gumbo is.