Mandatory reporting and Rape? 18??

I was raped when I was 11, I remember the experience vividly, but cut up into chunks, and reshuffled, one thing I don't remember is what the freak looked like who did this to me, nor do I really care to. I don't want your advice or help, I just want you to answer this one question. If I told my teacher about what happened to me, would she have to report it? I'm a senior in high school and am 18. I'm an adult, and I can make my own decisions. I've made this choice not to take legal action, and to not get the police involved. I know what resources I have available to me, so I don't need your links or hotlines, I just want this answer. I don't want a lot of people knowing about this, I just want to tell her, I trust her, a lot. Thanks, I hope.


For reference, I'm in the Ohio, Michigan location. If you know about either states please say. Maybe you will pick the right one.

3 Answers

  • Geomi
    Lv 7
    3 years ago
    Favorite Answer

    All teachers are required to report crimes and rape has the highest prior priority. A solution for you if you wanted some guidance is to pick a professional psychologist. She is required to keep all people she sees in abolute cofidential. if you decide to do that, you can even ask about confidentiality when you find the right person for you. Good luck. I was a college professor of education.

    • Login to reply the answers
  • 3 years ago

    Yes, it is required to report it because you were a minor at the time it occurred. The thought behind that mandate is that the person who did it could still be doing similar things to other children.

    I know it seems silly, especially since your attacker remains unidentified, but it would be mandatory to report it.

    It WOULD NOT be mandatory for you to speak with any authorities who come asking about it. You do have the right to be non-compliant with their investigation.

    • Login to reply the answers
  • 3 years ago

    Why would you burden someone you trust and, I assume like, with this knowledge when you don't want them to have the ability to do something about it? That's unfair, and pardon me, selfish. Your teacher would be helpless and burdened with your pain. If you want to talk to someone about your rape see a psychiatrist, someone who is trained in mental health therapy for traumatic injury.

    • Login to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.