Is "y" a vowel?

Hi, today I had an argument with some of my classmates whether or not "y" is a vowel. In french class we refer "y" as a "E - Greek". That was also the place where the argument began.

Reason why I think that "y" is a vowel :

Happ(y)

pronunciation: Hap - (eeeee)

regards Dehlen.

vowels and consonants were assigned by the sound they make, when a letter is silent in a word it really doesn't matter anyway... since english is a language with more exceptions than rules, learning rules is more line guidelines than rules... y can be either a vowel or a consonant depending upon its pronunciation...

the english language uses words from numerous origins, and that changes spelling and pronunciation...

the same word in english can be pronounced differently to have a different meaning... just some examples:

alternate, attribute, axes, bass, bow, close, combine, conduct, conflict, console, content, contest, contract, convert, convict, deliberate, desert, digest, dove, excuse, house, invalid, lead, minute, moderate, object, perfect, permit, present, produce, project, read, record, recreate, refuse, relay, resume, row, separate, sow, subject, tear, wind, wound

french has its own complications as nouns have gender and need matching gender words...

there's y like funny and y like yellow, and y like cyst and crypt and y like cry and lye and y like mayor and inlay and y like yuan

and, if "y" was only a consonant, are there any words without a vowel?

cry, dry, pry, fly, fry, my, why

• M.

In English, "y" can be a consonant or a vowel.

In French, "y" is named "i grec" and is a vowel. Pronounced: ee greck

http://www.languageguide.org/french/alphabet/

Source(s): Been there

No. The vowels are a,e,i,o and u. However there are a few words in which the actual vowels do not appear, and in these words either y or w acts as a vowel.

Remember the "sometimes y?" Sometimes, in English, "Y" is a vowel. At other times, it is not.

• User

Y is sometimes a vowel. I thought this was common knowledge.

The vowels:

A E I O U and sometimes Y

I used to hear this all the time as a child.

Yellow - not a vowel

Many - is a vowel

• John P

In normal English "y" is both consonant (as in "you") and vowel (as in "sky").

In other languages different rules apply.

Both y and w are "sometimes vowels" and the rest of the time consonants.

• User
      3 years agoReport

w kinda sorta maybe sure, but not really

• John

the old rule I learned in School,.... A E I O U.....and Sometimes Y...............Never could understand how it could be " Sometimes "

i guess

• Palmer

i guess