Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsCancer · 3 years ago

Do you always die when you have Leukemia? And if so, how do you handle it when your loved one dies.?

My best friend since third grade got diagnosed with Leukemia on Saturday. It's just so hard for me. If she dies, I don't know what I'll do. She's always been there for me, and kept me positive. But is it also possible for you to survive through Leukemia?

Favorite Answer

How old is your friend? What kind of leukemia does your friend have?

The most common kind of leukemia in kids and teenagers is ALL, and over 80% of kids survive ALL. The survival rate for AML is closer to 60%, but the majority still survive. And though it's extremely rare, kids/teens can be diagnosed with CML, which is a lifelong chronic leukemia- people with CML take daily oral medication, and tend to live close to normal lifespans.

If your friend is an adult, the numbers are different, but leukemia is treatable and survivable for most adults who have it. Different factors change prognosis- type and subtype of leukemia, specific genetic mutations, risk level, etc. So no one here can tell you what will happen to your friend.

Yes, you can survive leukemia. It depends on the type of leukemia you have. Actor Ryan O'Neal was diagnosed with leukemia more than 10 years ago, but he's still alive, looking good and acting. It's harder to survive leukemia if you are elderly because the treatments are more limited.

The survival rates has nearly doubled in the past decade due to advances in treatment and leukemia has an overall survival rate around 60%.

You don't handle it when a loved one dies. You merely survive the ordeal. The world comes to a screeching halt. You eventually move on with a big part of your life gone forever. At some point you get used to their absence and thinking of them brings happy thoughts instead of a feeling of loss.

I know someone who was diagnosed at around that age with leukemia. She is a teenager now and is very healthy! There are all sorts of treatments being made every day and new technology to make them better and better. The most important thing is to not give up hope, if not for you then for your friend! She will need support from friends. I will make sure to be praying for her (:

• Matt

Leukemia is very treatable. Treatment suck, but there is a good chance of long term survival.

There are different types of leukemia.

They have different survival rates.

Overall , more survive than do not.

• april

The actor, Ryan O'Neal, was dx in 2001 with cml and 4 years ago he was dx with prostate cancer and he was born in 1941 and he's still alive.

No, Not always. I have know a lot of people who have survived.

• ?

The chances of survival are greater now than ever before.

• LAN

Depends. Mostly on how soon it is caught and treatment begun. But the fact that you post this anonymously makes me think you are trolling.