Does Affirmative Action work?

Is affirmative action fulfilling its purpose?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    3 years ago
    Favorite Answer

No.

Affirmative Action has harmed non-minorities by preventing them from obtaining opportunities that they deserve. An open position at a company or a school should always go to the most qualified candidate, not to the second or third best person simply to meet a generic quota. In many areas, Affirmative Action has also resulted in the bar being lowered. Those who could not meet the current requirements where not eligible to even apply, so to broaden the number of candidates available (so women and minorities could be selected) they had to lower the requirements and qualifications for the position. For example. the military had to reduce physical training requirements in order to allow more women to be accepted into front-line combat roles, but did the physical or mental needs of the job change at all? No. With the influx of a new resource pools, it means there are more people to select from when filling an opening. This results in salaries being decreased for everyone. The incentive to work harder to achieve ones goals is also now gone. Those around you who had earned their titles/salary under the more difficult standards now despise the newcomers. The newcomers are also less qualified for the role, require extensive training and hand-holding, and everyone suffers as a result (Google Jessica Lynch).

It is true that there are more women and minorities obtaining positions and opportunities that were historically out of reach and it is partially due to Affirmative Action. However the real question is whether Affirmative Action is doing more harm than good for these individuals and the nation as a whole. The real answer is that it is doing more harm, but women and minorities would likely be obtaining the same positions at a slower pace if it did not exist. Is that a higher priority and more important? I do not think so... but others disagree.

• Anonymous
    3 years ago

Are there more women and minorities in traditionally white male dominated roles, yes. What I haven't seen is an influx of women and minorities into things like coal mining, oil and gas, or any other high paying physical labor jobs. I think it is because no one wants to do those jobs. In those cases you cannot hire them if they don't apply.

• BB
    Lv 7
    3 years ago

Yes. Obama had the rails greased to become President, female athletes have been given more college scholarship opportunities and corporate America has made a strong push to develop and place women for senior and top leadership positions. There is still more to be done, but the trend is positive, so far.

• wrfine
    Lv 7
    3 years ago

I'm fulfilled

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    3 years ago

No.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.