Idiot Tampa, FLA Sportswriters?

Justin Verlander finished 2nd to Rick Porcello in AL Cy Young voting thanks to 2 Tampa-area leaving him off of their ballots completely. Verlander finished 5 points behind Porcello in the voting.

Fred Goodall of the AP and Bill Chastain of mlb.com cover the Rays and both ignored Verlander in the voting.

Goodall voted AL East except for Corey Kluber, with Porcello, Britton, Happ and Sanchez completing his ballot.

Chastain also showed a AL East bias, voting for Porcello, Britton and Taka Tanaka in addition to Kluber and Sale.

Verlander finished in starts, innings pitched, and ERA. He led the league in WHIP and strikeouts. And he tied for 6th with 16 wins. The fact that a pitcher with these credentials was left off of the ballot proves that these 2 writers are, either, idiots or corrupt.

Should their ballots be tossed out so the award will go to the player who deserves it?

Favorite Answer

Chastain says that he "agonized" over his vote and to me that proves he doesn't deserve one. I mean, c'mon, this isn't rocket science. You look at the guys who have done a good job and you vote for them. There's no excuse for leaving a pitcher with Verlander's numbers off your ballot, but I know why it happened.

Chastain says that he "...went around the clubhouse, I asked guys." He covers the Rays, the Rays play in the AL East, so he was asking players from that division. That's why he voted for 3 pitcher from that division, though the Tanaka vote is totally ignorant.

And I'm betting that the other moron did the same thing. If you ask AL East players who deserves the award they're going to name the players they're most familiar with.

If you can't watch game and check stats and make an intelligent decision -- if you have to ask others who to vote for -- you shouldn't be allowed to vote. You can't change what's done but MLB sure as hell shouldn't let these idiots vote in the future. They're both beyond stupid.

• Fozzy

So exactly what are the guidelines for who they can vote for? This is what happens when you have ambiguous awards that are based solely on opinion. How do you define the "best pitcher" anyway?

It's nothing but opinion. And the person or persons who would decide that a particular ballot should be "thrown out" would be doing nothing but expressing theirs.

I think the secret is not to get so worked up over the opinions of about 60 people , particularly over something that is, in the grand scheme of things, pretty unimportant.

You can't change the results of a vote just because you don't like how they turn out. It's over. Move on. It's just an award.

• Bob

Awards like the Cy Young are nothing but popularity contests, and you seem to have some issues because you are getting upset because of something that does not effect your life in any way

• Primo

Those 2 writers should be removed from the BBWAA and be prevented for voting for any more awards.

• I think Kate Upton covered this last night.