C# how to access a method inside a object instance?

Hi guys. I am having trouble figuring out how to access a method that exists inside a object instance in C#. How can this be done?

I know that in C++ this can be done using -> but I can not see how to do this in C#.

Assume I have a object called myObject and in that object there is a method called myMethod. How would I externally access myMethod?

Thank you in advance.

Update:

using System;

using System.Collections.Generic;

using System.Linq;

using System.Text;

using System.Threading.Tasks;

namespace S2Exercise2

{

class mainClass

{

class One

{

int testInt = 51;

}

//Cls B with Cls A object and initialized

class Two

{

One a1 = new One();

}

Update 2:

static void Main()

{

Two Temp = new Two();

int var1 = Temp.a1.testInt; //This part here is not working

Console.WriteLine(var1);

Console.ReadLine(); //This stops the program so we can see the result.

}

}

}

Update 3:

Got it :)

My god how missing one thing can mess you up so badly. I forgot to make things public. Thank you and Cheerio!

2 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 years ago

In C#, this is determined by the object, not the caller. When creating a function or method within an object, the *Access Modifiers* for the object and its properties/functions/methods apply. In C#, having no access modifier on something defaults it to being "Internal", or only accessible by the same assembly.

Given object MyClass() with the following functions:

public void HuckFinnPaintFence()

private void TomSawyerPaintFence()

internal bool IsFencePainted()

public string NamePersonWhoPainted()

Let's look at the result of calling these:

var x = new MyClass(); // our object

x.HuckFinnPaintFence(); //valid

x.TomSawyerPaintFence(); //INVALID, will throw an exception as a *private* function can only be called by another method in the same class.

x.IsFencePainted(); //INVALID if called by a consuming application which isn't part of the same assembly. VALID if called from anything in the same assembly.

x.NamePersonWhoPainted(); //VALID. returns a string.

So a running application might go like this:

x.HuckFinnPaintFence();

Console.WriteLine(x.NamePersonWhoPainted());

And the console output, if the "HuckFinnPaintFence" method is called by the name-fetching function, might return "Tom Sawyer".

• Login to reply the answers
  • 3 years ago

In both C++ and C#, the syntax for naming a method of a named object uses a dot. So, use myObject.myMethod(), with arguments added between () if needed.

If it's a static method, you use the class name to access it, not an object name.

TheClass.methodName() .... C# syntax

TheClass::methodName() .... C++ syntax

In all cases, the method must be public to be accessible from outside of member functions.

• Jason3 years agoReport

I have tried that and it is not working. That was the first thing I tried. Clearly I am missing something. I will post my code. Few minutes.

• Login to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.