Flight training rent or own? Friend of mine who is a PPL says I should buy a Cessna 172N or M.?

He says it's better then training because once you get an instructor to sign off you can go fly when you want practice. Then once you finish the training go to IFR training. He says the 172 is the best plane for all of that.
Update: Renting seems easier and I don't have to worry about unknown cost of repairs. Once I get my PPL I could buy because I want to fly cross country not worry about getting a plane back to rental office.
Update 2: He says the 172 has the lowest cost of maintenance parts are cheaper.
Update 3: My friend owns a Twin engine and has his PPL since 1991 he has rented before that. I have about $80k in cash to spend on training and buying or renting/training. I live in Southwest desert so covered tie downs is all that is needed here cost $100 a month. I want to keep fuel under 10 Gallons Per hour at cruise... show more My friend owns a Twin engine and has his PPL since 1991 he has rented before that. I have about $80k in cash to spend on training and buying or renting/training. I live in Southwest desert so covered tie downs is all that is needed here cost $100 a month. I want to keep fuel under 10 Gallons Per hour at cruise which I read 172's can do that. I have seen some good deals on barnstormer for pipers my friend says 172 is by far the cheapest to maintain. I think renting a 172 is about $150 an hour
Update 4: Another co-worker who fly's a RV kit plane he said don't bother with glass LCD screen instrument panels there just a waste of money he said you can use an Ipad to do anything those panels can do as long as the older equipment is certified to IFR it is good an iPad mount is all I need for any extra mapping.
Update 5: I have no idea what the insurance cost I know it's possible to get it.
Update 6: My ultimate goal is to actually build and fly a kit plane made for STOL flying like a kitfox S7 STI or just aircraft super STOL I can eventually land in places where normally you can't fly. Since you can't take flight training in a kit plane I don't want to be limited with a LSA plane. I figured I will... show more My ultimate goal is to actually build and fly a kit plane made for STOL flying like a kitfox S7 STI or just aircraft super STOL I can eventually land in places where normally you can't fly. Since you can't take flight training in a kit plane I don't want to be limited with a LSA plane. I figured I will get my flight training out of the way fly some then buy the kit plane and keep flying while I build the kit plane.