Do trans men and women stay on hormones for life? or only until transitioning?

sorry for my ignorance, am just curious what life is like.

like are the changes permanent or do they need to be maintained with hormones forever. i'm confused. also can someone be trans without wanting to go through all the transitioning?

Favorite Answer

"Do trans men and women stay on hormones for life? or only until transitioning?"

HRT is usually a lifetime commitment.

Pre-op you need HRT to overcome endogenous hormones.

Post-op you need HRT because you body no longer produces any. Without hormones you body can develop a number of health problems.

There is an additional reason as far as I'm concerned. Transsexual people usually FEEL much better on hormones. I never realized how unhappy I was until I started HRT. Almost overnight they turned my life around. I would never want to go back to those dark days before HRT.

.

Source(s): me-woman who was born transsexual (post-op)

They are meant to stay on them for life, possibly at a reduced dose after 5 or so years. I know that it is possible to come off testosterone (not sure about oestrogen) but in coming off the hormones some of the effects will revert. I do personally find it a bit worrying , the possible health risks of lifelong artifical hormone therapy . Hormones have their benefits but they do have their disadvantages, intramuscular testosterone injections can cause pain and soreness a while afterwards.

There are transgender people that just identify without hormones and surgery but some trans people have more dysphoria and feel they have to change to be happy and comfortable.

Everyone stays on hormones for life, cis or trans. The only difference is that trans people need to get their hormones from a source outside their bodies.

Yes.

yup