Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationOther - Cars & Transportation · 3 years ago

Good first car?

So I can't decide on what my first car should be, the three most important things for me is safety, reliability and good mpg. Not alot of maintenance and I want to not be killed from a car crash. Am 17 and my budget is $30,000.

• Favorite Answer

Damn man 30k at 17?

Get a toyota Camry or Avalon

Either way in the end you'll be paying tons for insurance no matter what new car it is

I understand your desire for a safe car but just so you're clear on the subject you can be killed in any type of vehicle. It doesn't matter how safe it is, it can't protect you from everything, particularly inexperience and stupidity.

Next, how much do you have for a down payment? How much is sales tax where you live and what interest rate will you be able to obtain? How high of a monthly payment can you afford? Does that leave enough for a $200 a month (or more) of car insurance? Have you calculated these things so you can figure out exactly how expensive of a car you can buy? If not go here: http://www.practicalmoneyskills.com/calculators/ca...

Once you have a number, come back and ask again.

An electric car. Either a Nissan Leaf or wait for a Tesla 3. You can get used Leaves pretty cheap even though they're not a cheap car.

1. They're the most "fuel efficient" car you can get. The Leaf gets an equivalent of over 100mpg.

2. They are safe. Very safe! Safer than your average gasoline car.

3. Maintenance is basically tire related, and that's all. No oil changes, no filters, no sparkplugs. Just rotate the tires once a year.

4. They are very reliable. The 2011 and 2012 Leaves don't do good in Arizona heat, but that's the only problem I've heard.

I just missed out on a 2015 Nissan Leaf S with only 4,500 miles for only $9,000 in pristine condition. But I'm kind of glad I reconsidered. Today I'm going back in for a 2013 Leaf SV (or SL) with the 6.6kW onboard charger and DC quick charger port. The 2015 only had a 3.3kW charger since it was an S.

You Should Probably Buy An Old School Viper, They Can Easily Be Had For Under 30k.

Source(s): I Am The Stig
  • Never

Is $30k all you have to spend at 17 ?

Must be tough nearly being on welfare & all.