Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsCancer · 3 years ago

What is happening to me? (people with cancer knowledge)?

I'm a 19 year old male with ALL (Leukaemia). I'm in my second year of treatment and so far everything's going well. Up until recently from the beginning of my treatment my sex drive has been super low and I haven't been able to have a full on erection. I'm fairly sure I am probably infertile now as a result of my chemo, before I started chemo my consultant sent me to a sperm bank so that if my treatment did make me infertile I would have some semen stored which means I could have a child that is truly my own when I'm older. Anyone who's had to produce in a sperm bank knows how difficult it is just based on the surroundings etc so I couldn't at the time.

But now after just over a year of not being able to have an erection and almost non existent sex drive it's all back. I can now have a full erection and my sex drive is stronger than ever. You would think this is a good thing but it's actually killing me. This is the first time since I lost my virginity (15) that I haven't had a partner. Why is this happening to me?

@LAN and april, no one told me. I said "I'm fairly sure" not 'I'm certain'. My struggle to get erections and low sex drive wasn't the only contributing factors which bought me to that conclusion. I didn't really want to go into too much detail out of embarrassment but the fact I've been producing much less semen on ejaculation and of that semen it's much more transparent than it was before treatment. I don't know much about fertility but I assume that's a bad sign...

If you don't believe me the medication I am on is Mercaptopurine, Methotrexate, Dexamethasone, Ranitidine, Aciclovir, Co-Trimoxazole and I am on the UKALL 2011 Trial... Seems like I have quite a lot of knowledge about this disease for someone with a 'made up' story, huh?

@TrueSnapdragon, I wanted to give you BA as well, you both gave great answers. Thank you

Best Answer

I'm not a health care professional but my husband had leukemia (and is sitting across from me, which is nice so many years later) and he had a similar outcome, although he didn't bank sperm since we already had the number of kids we wanted. For a while his drive was up, then it disappeared, replaced by impotence, and then it came back.

It suggests to me that your youth and health are proving a great advantage to beating your ALL and that the chemo didn't make you unable permanently. Whether you're shooting blanks, who knows, but that you can achieve and erection says much about your health.

In the absence of a partner, go solo.

I'm pleased to hear you're doing so well. High five, dude.

Why do you have a normal sex drive now? Probably because you're feeling better. You've probably adjusted to maintenance treatment by now. I assume life is a little closer to normal now (despite the whole daily oral chemo thing.)

You may or may not be infertile right now. Sperm banking prior to beginning treatment is normal for this diagnosis at your age, but this treatment does not guarantee infertility. I can't even count how many people I know who were diagnosed with ALL and treated as teenagers who now have children as young adults (natural conceptions.) We continue to see our pediatric oncology patients for life in our long term follow up clinic, so we see many adults who were treated as children and teens. Once you are done with treatment, you may want to have a sperm analysis done.

You really can talk to your oncologist about this, or someone at your treatment center who you are most comfortable with (might be a nurse or nurse practitioner, or a doctor.) But this is normal. You've been through a lot since diagnosis, and it's normal for treatment AND the emotional stress that comes with it to cause a lowered sex drive, and it's normal for it to come back now. If it's stronger than ever, that may also have to do with your age.

Source(s): Work in pediatric oncology.
  • april

Didn't you know erections and sex drive have nothing to do with what is or isn't swimming around in there?

Maybe you haven't crossed anyone that finds you interesting..

I didn't say anyone told you anything....

• LAN
      3 years agoReport

He's another psycho. He sounds like the guy who was constantly posting just to mention sex based anatomy. Boring and nuts. If I ever go as bat crap crazy as this guy I hope I at least have a more interesting compulsion than his.

Congratulations on winning your battle so far

• LAN

Who told you you would be infertile? Your whole story sounds made up to me.