Car experts, I really need damage assessment, help~?

Someone crashed into my parked car. Its pretty bad I know. But I absolutely love the car and am hoping I might be able to fix it. So, any car experts out there know how bad this is and if its even possible to fix? How much around will it cost? Its a 2008 nissan altima 2.5 SL

Attachment image

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Ignore the experts in here. Anyone who is a real expert will tell you they can't give you an estimate unless they see it in person. I get where you're going with this question, but you're completely wasting your time. This is one of those situations where those who know won't talk and those who talk don't know. This is one of those rare situations where even Entidtil is wrong, since the 'magic percent' rule doesn't exist everywhere.

Don't worry, you'll find out soon enough. The insurance company will (if they haven't already) ask you to get a printed estimate from a repair shop, and they'll send an appraiser out to assess the value of the vehicle right before the crash. Both the repair estimate and the appraisal will be done on a (warning, legal term ahead) without prejudice basis. That means the repair guy won't know or care about the appraised value, and the appraiser won't know or care about the repair cost. If the insurance company can't get an appraiser, they'll use a software package similar to kbb.com only far more detailed and advanced.

Then the claims adjuster will compare the vehicle value against the repair cost. If the repairs cost more than __% of the vehicle's value (the magic percent number varies by jurisdiction, and you didn't say where you are), it's a total loss. If the repairs cost less, it gets fixed. That decision is made by state / provincial legislation, and nobody gets to argue with legislation so the decision is final and the debate is over.

While hours seem like days when you're waiting for the decision, there's no way to speed up the process. They'll get it done as quick as they can, because both the body shop and the insurance company want to clear this matter up as soon as possible. Nobody benefits from waiting around, so just be patient.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • M
    Lv 6
    4 years ago

If you've reported it to your insurance and started a claim, (or if you intend to) they'll likely tell you it's totaled. This means that the cost they estimate in repairs exceeds the total value of the car. If you really love the car, and you want to repair it despite what insurance is telling you, I'd bet that the expenses would fall on you completely, and you'd pay everything out-of-pocket.

Just from the photo, you will need the rear bumper replaced, the left rear taillight replaced (since the bulb inside probably shattered anyway, judging from the exterior cracking), and the trunk lid either pounded back into place (less expensive) or completely replaced (more expensive).

There's no way I can give you specific estimates with regards to $$$, but if you're really determined to keep the car, tow it to a body shop, or your favorite mechanic, and they can pull up specific numbers based on Altima parts, and labor fees. Then of course, if you do choose to have it restored, you'd need to change the vehicle title to "salvaged/rebuilt" with your local DMV branch. Even though many cars on the road possess these titles, this usually hurts the overall value of the car significantly and will certainly come back into play if you decide to sell it; but if you're not planning on selling, or if the car is old(er) anyway, it won't make AS much of a difference.

Overall: It's not gonna be pretty. If insurance does offer you money in exchange for 'totaling it' (most of the time they offer you some kind of payment) you can always turn around and put that money toward a new car...but it might not be much.

That really sucks, I'm so sorry this happened to you!

Best of luck.

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

Nobody here can tell you how much it will cost to fix based on a couple of pictures. . You will have to wait til the insurance adjuster can assess the damage. Relax, take a deep breath and soon they will let you know what they have decided.

To correct a widely held belief. A car is NOT totaled when the cost of repairs EXCEEDS the value. Instead a car is totaled when the cost of repairs meets or exceeds ABOUT 70% ( the percentage varies a bit by insurance companies) of "fair market value, sometimes called actual cash value.

• lucy
    Lv 7
    4 years ago

http://www.nadaguides.com/Cars/2008/Nissan/Altima

wow, they did a bad hit and guessing this is a hit/run, so can't go after the at fault party.

I hope you have collision coverage, and if so, then an appraiser will write an estimate of the cost to fix.

Now, in most states, (if) the repairs exceeds about 85% of FMV (fair market value), then they must total the car and pay you FMV. In other words, FMV is what your car could have been sold for, (if not) for this accident.

IE; car is worth $10,000 and repairs cost $8,677, they total since repairs exceed FMV.

The site attached can give you an idea of the FMV of your vehicle.

Source(s): retired auto adjuster
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 years ago

For that amount of damage and the fact that this is an 8 year-old car, it's most likely to be declared a total loss. You'll be paid the market value of your car.

• Mr.357
    Lv 7
    4 years ago

There is obviously at LEAST $3000 in damage. It would require an in person inspection to see how much other damage besides the obvious has been done.

• ₮y
    Lv 7
    4 years ago

Totaled. Insurance will more than likely give you the cash out option of blue book value.

• 4 years ago

The cars a write off, even if it is possible to repair it will cost more then the car is worth.

• 4 years ago

Ouch... yeah... its done. Frame damage for sure.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.