Is high mileage oil bad for my car if I only drive it once a week?

Would it cause some white water substance because its not active frequently and could cause harm to the car?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 years ago

If you have no leaks or other concerns there is no reason to use high mileage oil. It expands anything it touches that is not metal. This can lead to failure of those things. The amount you drive it only matters in the sense that the oil will be in there a long time. The only reason to use high mileage oil is if you are having problems that the oil states it can solve. And then you are only putting off a problem for a short time in truth.

• Poppy
    Lv 7
    3 years ago

High mileage oil is made for those of us theat run the holy crap out of outrage vehicles. I'm running full synthetic and changing between 8-10 k miles. Changing every month. You AR paying more for your oil than you need to.

• Anonymous
    3 years ago

High mileage oil would be fully synthetic. If you buy a low viscosity oil such as 5w-30 fully synthetic it will be ideal for short trips.

• 3 years ago

High mileage oil doesn't have to be "used" a lot. It just has additives to protect motors that have more mileage on them! Thanks for the morning laugh!

Source(s): Mitsubishi Master Tech
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • don r
    Lv 7
    3 years ago

Condensation could accumulate in the oil and form sludge when you don't get the engine hot enough and frequently enough to burn off the moisture.

• 3 years ago

no

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.