What is the cheapest brand of ammo that doesnt jam too much.?

I want to buy something cheaper but not something too bad that jams or explodes too often

Favorite Answer

Very astute question there Steve. I don't know how they do it, but somehow ammo companies have been making jamming, exploding ammo for years and getting away with it. Fortunately a recent ruling by the FTC, ATF, and FDA requires ALL manufactures that make ammo to list their potential for jamming or explosions directly on the the box. The only exception for not listing the JF (Jamming Factor) or EF (Exploding Factor) is for ammo that does not make any guarantees. Next time you are in a store that sells ammo, ask specifically for their cheapest ammo with lowest JF and EF. It is usually on the box, right next to the muzzle velocity. Avoid ANY ammo that does not explicitly list their JF and EF on the box.

• BBean

Do you mean bin ammo with steel cases and cores that jam together when when a magnet is tossed in the bin? I think I dreamed or had a vision of where an old country store would sell ammo by the dip. If you were a good dipper you could get a bargain with the magnet they furnished and maybe dip the caliber you can use. Maybe I`m thinking of nails or horseshoes, anyway, I think I dreamed it.

Stay away from Fedchester and Hornnydaguila cheap ammo and you won`t have jams.

• JOHN B

In pistol ammo Federal Fusion has performed at a reasonable price. Also Monarch is a good brand @ a good price in rifle and pistol. Blazer aluminum was originally a good, low price brand but many shops have lost sight of it's original intent.

I've got more than 30 boxes of WalMart's finest, 'El Cheapo' (target grade) ammo lined up in front of me as I input this text. There aren't any, 'JF' or, 'EF' factors stated anywhere on any of the boxes - Which, come to think of it, get cycled through my pistols week after week, after week without either jamming or exploding!

Pistol cartridges, by the way, don't usually, 'explode' when they go off; they, 'ignite' instead. The actual detonation of gun powder inside of an otherwise correctly loaded pistol cartridge is a rare event that is usually found in cartridge cases with: (1) a correct powder charge, albeit with (2) too little powder, and (3) too much air: i.e., 'light loads'.*

* (An excessively high case volume to powder ratio that is, in and of itself, conducive to powder detonation rather than ignition.)

Winchester White Box FMJ.

I'd go with store bought ammo.

Your gun should be able to cycle most brass cased ammo, if not it's probably the gun and not the ammo.

I have not tried them all, but when I do I'll let you know which one jammed the least.

You would think one explosion would be to much but nah the occasional one is fine lol

• C T M

Tell you what Steve, go to your local gun stores and ask them this exact same question, and I mean word for word. Go. Go now.