Why does my five month old kitten have yellow teeth and bad breath?

I am new to cats. This weekend I got a ragdoll cat somebody didn t want anymore. His shots are up to date. He needs to be neutered pronto which I hope to have done this week. I noticed when looking in his mouth his breath was bad and his teeth were yellow. A tooth fell out as I was examining and a smaller tooth... show more I am new to cats. This weekend I got a ragdoll cat somebody didn t want anymore. His shots are up to date. He needs to be neutered pronto which I hope to have done this week. I noticed when looking in his mouth his breath was bad and his teeth were yellow. A tooth fell out as I was examining and a smaller tooth was underneath it. He seems rather young to have yellow teeth? Maybe she is not right on his age? He is also very overweight. I am new to cats, should I brush his teeth? What is a good way to help him lose weight?