Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 4 years ago

Is the word "damn" a bad word?

Ok so I was having a conversation with my mom and accidentally said "damn" and she was like "stop swearing please, I really don't care for your choice of words." I'm 15, and have never considered it a swear word, but if it is I'll stop saying it. Does anyone know? I want ANSWERS, not just opinions. Thanks.

• Pontus
    Favorite Answer

Like many swear words, it's okay to use in it's literal meaning. If you do not repent, God will damn you to hell.

However, when used out of that context, it is a cuss word (but a fairly mild one). Damn! That damn kid!

Just like b*tch. The word is not a swear word when actually referring to a female dog. But it's usually used as a cuss word.

It is a swear word because it is short for "may God damn your soul to hell" and that is considered taking the name of the Lord in vain when it is used casually. In your generation, it is no longer considered blasphemous, but it once was. Now it is just a little rude. But when speaking with authority figures such as teachers and moms, it is not polite speech.

It's not really a swear word but in Christianity it is the word that describes God's condemnation of sinners to Hell. Because of this churchgoers considered it a bad word although it is no in such common use it no longer has any impact.

I think it's generally considered a swear in that it's short for "god damn," or because only God has the power to "damn" things/people

there are no real bad words.