Joe B
Joe B asked in Social SciencePsychology · 3 years ago

Is this called depersonalization?

I recently had several major personal events happen in the span of less than 1 year:

-3 injuries- 1 debilitating but will get better, 1 minor and fully healed, and 1 chronic which will never get better

-1 family member who is on mentally ill, not well managed by meds, and who has become increasingly threatening

-1 family member may have cancer

-Underemployment after promotion

Being off sick for so long, I've had quite a while to sit and think about my situation and I realize I've got pretty much nothing to my name but debt. I realize I don't exactly "love" my family. I realize my current job is a joke. I've sort of decoupled from any and all notion of self image and societal participation. I'm not depressed per se, just very disillusioned. I see my face as a mask about 6" in front of my real face which is honestly psychopathically stone cold. I look at my lifestyle and see cold, barren desert, the wind blowing my face with sand at sunset. I feel a palpable disconnection of my self from my brain.

Favorite Answer

Depersonalization and a closely related condition, derealization, are symptoms of anxiety. What psychologists call depersonalization-derealization disorder is associated with high anxiety. This is a condition in which the person feels that life is like a dream, unreal. What you describe here, sadness from being disillusioned, is unlike the way people describe their condition when they complain of depersonalization. They say they're very worried.

I wouldn't overlook the possibility that you're depressed. It's not unusual for people to be depressed and not realize it. Of course, there are many degrees of severity. If you don't have major depression, you might have a mild depression or a sub-clinical condition - one not bad enough to be diagnosed as depression. You can take a screening test like CESD R online. This identifies people who should be seen for diagnostics.

In any case, people have a great ability to adapt. It may take a while for you to get over the things that have happened, but you will.

If it seems that you are depressed and you wanted professional help, treatment usually begins with a visit to the GP, who can give to a physical and maybe a good referral. Some cases call for medication, not all. Treating depression with just a prescription is not the best approach.

There are some simple things you can do that would do you no harm and might do a lot of good. Healthy lifestyle is what we all need anyway and it's been shown to help with all kinds of depression. It's great for preventing depression.

If you go to Metapsychology, you can read a psychologist's review of the self-help book by Steve Ilardi, the therapist/researcher who headed the U of Kansas lifestyle-depression project ("a splendid book"). The book has practical advice for things like insomnia and cautions - which are slight for most people but should be considered, e.g., what eye doctors say about light therapy.

Practicing a good breathing exercise daily is a good way to bring your stress down, I'll give you a good exercise, and one more effective exercise.

Here's a breathing exercise from The Healing Power of the Breath by psychiatrists Brown and Gerbarg. They recommend 20 min. of this twice a day. Lie or sit comfortably so you can breathe freely, with a hand on your abdomen to feel it go in and out. Breathe slowly through your nose, 5 breaths a minute, inhale about 4 sec., exhale about 4 sec. The authors have published 6 papers on breathing exercises and use them in their work.

Their book recommends a 3-way approach - breathing, slow body movement and mindfulness. You might be interested in Palouse Mindfulness, a free, online version of the world-famous mindfulness program MBSR, validated by literally hundreds of studies, but I suggest starting with one of MBSR's most important exercises, the Body Scan (below).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4gZgnCy5ew

Youtube thumbnail

&t=823s

You can learn tai chi exercise with one or two beginners' videos on YouTube. There's evidence that this helps children with ADHD.

• RWPossum
      3 years agoReport

It's here under DEPRESSION TREATMENTS - https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20150220041901AA0o9hk

No it is not..You have a realistic view of life along with

an uncaring attitude.

You see things for what they are and don't rely on false hope.

may be