Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 4 years ago

How can someone suffer an eternal torment in hell and why can't i go from hell to heaven like Dante?

I do not belive in hearsay. People say that you burn in hell. But do you die after getting burnt in hell? So, that is just a couple of minutes of anguishment. Why do people say as if you will be tortured in hell forever? And why can't God bring someone from hell to heaven if he has repented in hell? If not, how did Dante get to paradiso?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • janhoi
    Lv 6
    4 years ago
    Favorite Answer

The question of the eternality of Hell is a debated one in Church history. On the one hand scripture warns us of being eternally cut off from God. On the other hand scripture hold's out the possibility that we will all be reconciled with God. St Paul speaks of God's grace being revealed to the entire human race(Titus 2:9-11). He also speaks of God desiring the salvation of the entire human race(1 Timothy 2:4).

Throughout Church history you have the same things. On the one many theologians like St Augustine and St Thomas Aquinas warned of the eternality of hell. On the other hand others held out a more hopeful vision. St Gregory of Nyssa compared Hell to a form of rehabilitation where we are purged of all our sins and purified. St Isaac the Syrian spoke of how it would be unloving of a just and loving God to create human beings knowing that the majority of them would end up in hell for eternity. St Julian of Norwich in her revelations of Divine Love spoke of a time when 'all would be well'.

The creedal tradition themselves in both the Nicean and Apostles creed speak of Christ on Holy Saturday descending into Hell which is routed in the New Testament states of St Peter of Christ preaching to the imprisoned spirits after his crucifixion. St Cyril of Alexandria, Doctor of the Church and leader of the 3rd Ecumenical Council of Ephesus speaks of how when Christ descended into Hell he destroyed the gates of Hell and left the Devil alone and abandoned.

As to the idea of someone moving from Hell to Heaven, interestingly C.S Lewis did a commentary on that in his novel the Great Divorce. The conclusion of that is that anyone who is in Hell is there not because sent them there, but because they would rather be there than Paradise. Hence why in the novel it states "there are two types of people. Those who say to God 'thy will be done' and those who God says to them 'thy will be done'".

Source(s): Anglican Christian
    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    4 years ago

Eternal suffering from hell is from learning that you were wrong to want nothing to do with God. It is not fire or torture. It is being less than fully human forever.

You might prefer the Muslim hell, but I think the Christian hell is more likely.

• 4 years ago

My plan is to get all the guys together in hell and we can make a giant tower of people to yank and bring down the ceiling. Make heaven come down here

• 4 years ago

Here and now is the place and time God has provided for repentance. At the moment of death our eternal decision has been made.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Well, I believe God is going to give me an indestructible body in hell......

"There is no wisdom, no knowledge in hell......" no insight, so how can one repent unless God changes his mind bout the lack if insight thing?

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

it is a choice one has chosen , to reject love and and charity , to reject God and his commandments .

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.