promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsAstronomy & Space · 4 years ago

How far can 10x50 binoculars see?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 years ago

Well, ..., the magnifications of all binnoculars are generally determined at 1000 yards. So for 10x50 binoculars, an object at 1000 yrs will appears 10 time larger than it would with the naked 20/20 eye at 1x.

For astronomy this makes absolutely no sense as we are observing objects that are many light years distant. For astronomy we really look at the ability to gather light. 10x50 binoculars give you essentially the equivalent of a single 80mm objective. This will yield excellent the following:

1) Excellent views of the Moon.

2) Planets will look like small dots but you should be able observe all of the 8 major planets.

3) The four Jovian moon are readily observable

4) Solar observing (with proper filters) including sunspots

5) All of the Bright Messier objects. I've personally observed about 75 of them.

6) Bright comets, asteroids, satellites, and space-stations.

7) Stars (of course)

8) Bright NGC Objects.

9) the 10x50's are also perfect for bird watching and a lot of terrestrial observing activities.

So, as you can see, there's a lot you can observe with 10x50 binoculars. I use them on a regular basis. If you're looking for a decent pair of binoculars that wont break the bank, then I suggest the Bushnell Legacy Powerview Porro Prism (BAK-4 glass) 10x50 binoculars. You can get them from wal*mart for about $70.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Athena
    Lv 7
    4 years ago

They cannot see at all.

However you can see well with them as the objective lens and exit pupil are close to the max size your pupil can dilate. This allows the most light into your eye.

The pupil dilates to about 7mm . The exit pupil of your binoculars is 5 mm. (50/10)

Ideally you would want a 10 x 70 but they don;t make those.

• 4 years ago

If you look up at the night sky, you can see stars that are thousands of light years away.

On the earth, the horizon is about 3 miles away if you are on flat ground, so you cannot see anything beyond that distance, unless the object beyond the horizon is very tall.

It is hard to tell you what the <<usable>> range is, since we don't know what you want to look at - whether it is large or small.

• 4 years ago

several million light years, as i did the other night when i looked at m31 and m33 in binoculars.

ask a better question if you want a better answer.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    4 years ago

A

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.