If someone were charged with second-degree murder by killing a person out of rage, would it make sense to plead guilty?

Assume there is irrefutable evidence that the murder occurred as described. Would it make more sense to plead guilty or not guilty or no contest?

I'm asking not from a moral perspective, but a logical one. I'm also asking if pleading guilty would result in a reduced sentence, or if reduced sentences are discussed before the arraignment.

Favorite Answer

Depends on the deal for the particular plea. I mean, morally, sure, it makes sense to own up to things you did or caused. But practically speaking your lawyer should get you the best plea deal possible for you.

• Tristan4 years agoReport

I'm not 100% sure how plea deals work. I'm writing a book, and I'm currently at the scene for my protagonist's arraignment for second-degree murder. Would a plea bargain occur before, during or before the arraignment (One that could result in a lesser charge, such as manslaughter)?

The person who killed, if they will obviously be convicted due to evidence, should seek out the best plea deal they can get.

OR find a way to flee the country, any way possible.

Looking for legal advice on YA? The electric chair awaits you.

• Tristan4 years agoReport

I'm using it for reference for a book I'm writing. There's no crime in that, is there?