Are cats good about getting back home if they've never gotten out?

My parents have a 9 year old cat that which they would probably age 20 years if something happened to it. It's a house cat because there are so many loose dogs in this area that are allowed to run around. For the first time in their life it got out today because the back porch door wouldn't close due to... show more My parents have a 9 year old cat that which they would probably age 20 years if something happened to it. It's a house cat because there are so many loose dogs in this area that are allowed to run around. For the first time in their life it got out today because the back porch door wouldn't close due to wood swelling from rain. They saw her sitting on the side of the curb in front of our house and quickly ran over to them only to be picked up and taken inside. We used to have 2 outside and inside cats that had an outside door so they could come inside and outside whenever. I worry about the current cat for my parents sanity because I don't want it getting out and getting hit or ripped up by a dog.