Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 3 years ago

feels like a scam, but I also did something wrong?

was talking to a girl off the internet on Tues. Night. She said she was 20 on the site I was on, then told me she was 16, going to turn 17 in a week. I thought it was fine (I sincerly thought the Age of Consent applied here, Inow realize that it obviously doesn't, I realize that ignorance is no excuse but I'm just explaining my position) then she started getting very sexual, out of the blue, and like an idiot I asked for pics, I sent one to her, then felt guilty and tried to block. it didn't work, I kept replying for 2 days, trying to tell her that I didn't wanna do this. She never would leave, I tried to get her to call and she did, but it went straight to VM and the VM's she sent were all not understandable, so I never even spoke to her. The last thing she said was she was gonna OD on pills and her father would find out and put me in prison, I told her don't do that and I'll stay. She wanted me to buy her a 1st class plane ticket, I said I lost my money and she said I play too many games and left.Friday morning, her father calls and its an country sounding black guy, calls me son (the girl sent pics of a 20 something white woman) who was coming to me man to man to try and make this right, he wanted me to send $1000 through Western Union by 7 friday night just to pay for the girls therapy. Then my mother got involved and now we're waiting on the hospital bill and if that's legit, I'll see what I can do moneywise, but until then I'm just gonna wait. Am I getting scammed?

Even if it's a scam, would I get in trouble just for sexting a hypothetical 16 year old. Like I said the pics are of a 20 something woman and I never even heard her speak. I even looked her up on FB and nothing of note

Could the police say it was extortion but you were sexting a minor and then haul me off?

Favorite Answer

For starters, the age of consent refers ONLY to actually having sex with a minor- not exchanging pictures. Sending messages to a minor askingf or encouraging them to take pictures is referred to as enticement by electronic means, and is a sex crime. So is sending lewd pictures of yourself, as well as having any sexual conversation with a minor.

As it stands, if she is actually a minor, you could/should be charged with enticement, sending sexually explicit material to a minor, corruption of a minor, possession of child pornography,and probably several other related charges,. You could land on the sex offender registry, and in prison.

What you got involved in is a Nigerian scam. But you were already strolling into territory you should never have been near. Even being willing to communicate as an adult, with a 16 year old child is enough to make you a criminal. Learn your lesson, before someone really teaches you in jail.

Adults are supposed to *protect* children, not victimize them.

Yes, you did something very wrong. Go find some adult women to date- in person.

It should be very obvious to you that this is a set up. They lure you in, get you to do something illegal, then extort money from you.

The best way to avoid this sort of scam is to avoid engaging in sexually explicit conversations online with people you don't know. I trust you are smart enough not to do so in the future. For now, cut off all communication and forget about it.

Edit: I don't think you have anything to be concerned about from a criminal standpoint. They will not contact police because they're breaking the law themselves.

This is a Nigerian scam called Sextortion and is why you NEVER send or ask for nudes from anyone you have not met in person

Report this to the police - they are the ones breaking the law, not you

Yes it's a scam ----- age of consent does apply and she is over the age of consent ----- even at 16 she may be over check the local age of consent laws ----- if she is not she committed an illegal act and they would prefer fraud to child sex offences ------ i suggest contact the police let them know even if you talk anonymously to start with ----- check online for scams like that and do not ever send any money ----- maybe get their details to give to the police though

Yes, this is a scam. STOP being the scammer.