Anybody been to Iraq, how safe would I be in their green zone?

At my job, they're looking for volunteers for a 1 year temporary assignment in Iraq but I know nothing about how safe I will be in the green zone.

Favorite Answer

The green zone is the "safe" zone. If you had to go to Iraq, it's not a bad spot.

However, Iraq is a shiit hole that has been ful of intersect fighting for hundreds of years. Bad things can still happen in the green zone.

Food's pretty good there.

• Daniel

The Green Zone now is not the same thing it was a few years ago. Back in the day, the Green Zone ECPs were controlled by the US. The Green Zone is now controlled by the Iraqis and way more open (http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-34439899...

That being said, it is still the safest part of Baghdad.

Relatively speaking, it's probably the safest place to be.

Of course "safe" in Iraq is very different from safe in pretty much any western country.

• AJ

About as safe as Chicago is.

• Tim

You would be a fool to take it, they hate Americans and have kidnapped Americans once.

ask ninefinger...he is in red zone...red for blood from butt plugged anus