Is any refrigerant OK to release into the atmosphere besides the old R12, etc?

I want to work on my own AC unit and replace the compressor - what do I need to know legally?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • J J
    Lv 7
    4 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Parker has the legal stuff I'm here to deal with compressor replacement. You are going to open your system up and expose it to moisture in the air. If you get moisture into the system when that moisture gets to the orifice tube and is sprayed with the Freon it will turn to ice and clog the tube. That in it's self will cause compressor failure. There is a reason shops pull the system down for thirty minutes before charging it with Freon. See water/moisture boils at 80 degrees in a vacuum of 30 inches. I know what your thinking, you pull a vacuum on a closed system how is that steam going to get out. If floats around in the system until it gets to the vacuum machines oil and then the oil absorbs it. That is why they pull it for thirty minutes. That said you need to understand you need a vacuum pump to be successful. Some auto parts stores will rent this equipment. You will also need a new dryer as it has a bag inside that absorbs water and will hold it, don't go cheap here. And then you need at least a injection system with a pressure gauge. Again auto parts store, don't go cheap here either get the one with a gauge. No more then 45lbs on the low side, more is not better if you only want to buy one compressor.

• Parker
      Lv 6
      4 years agoReport

Also, pressure readings need to be taken when the compressor clutch is engaged.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 4 years ago

It's illegal to release R12 into the atmosphere! Don't know who told you it was OK but it's the worst of the refrigerants. That's why they switched to 134a. It's illegal to release any refrigerant.

Source(s): Mitsubishi Master Tech
    • Parker
      Lv 6
      4 years agoReport

They switched because R12 is ozone depleting and R134a is not.

• Parker
    Lv 6
    4 years ago

Legally, you cannot deliberately release any refrigerant into the atmosphere. R134a is safer and doesn't deplete the ozone layer like R12, but that doesn't mean it's still good and you can just pump it into the air.

By the way, it's something like up to $30,000 fine for every time/day you do it if you get caught. People have even been jailed for doing this.There's even a bounty for information about others that do it. The EPA can give up to a $10,000 reward if you turn someone else in.

• 4 years ago

Releasing R12 is a crime punishable by a $20,000 fine. You cannot buy R12 . If your ac was built to use R12, it needs to be evacuated and refilled with R13 and the fittings replaced, and that must be done by a qualified ac shop. You do not have the evacuation equipment, and the lubricant for R13 is not the same as R12.

• Parker
      Lv 6
      4 years agoReport

That is completely false. R12 is still available and perfectly legal to use... The only exception is that you must have a license from the EPA to buy it. If you already have some, you are legally free to use it as you wish. Assuming you are putting it into a refrigeration system or storage tank.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Poppy
    Lv 7
    4 years ago

Any refrigerant is illegal to release into the atmosphere. It is all hazardous material.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.