Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsCancer · 3 years ago

Does this sound like leukemia?

I'm 21, female

Symptoms over the last 6 weeks:

Extreme fatigue

Shortness of breath from walking

Lost 12 pounds

Chronic fever

Bruising

Chills

Cough that won't go away

Oral thrush

I checked out of the hospital yesterday. They admitted me for pneumonia and a high WBC count. When I left, I still had a high WBC count. They told me to get follow up blood work soon. Basically, I'm still super sick. I'm so weak I cannot go out, all I can do is sleep. I wake up with my sheets soaked in sweat and I get dizzy from walking across the room. I've been sick now for nearlt 6 weeks. With the high white blood cell count, could it be possible I have leukemia?

Best Answer

If you had a blood test yesterday then you would be in hospital right now if it were Leukaemia. All your blood counts would be incredibly low, the doctors would know straight away if it were likely to be Leukaemia and they would get you straight back into hospital.

I know a lot about this, I'm 19 and currently battling ALL (type of leukaemia) when I had my blood tests I hadn't even got half way home before I got a frantic call telling me to get to hospital immediately. Its not cancer, but it could be some other type of blood disease.

Also you said you've been sick for six weeks, it took half of that time for me to go from a normal healthy teenager to being on the verge of death. Literally, the doctors told me had I waited another few days to go to the doctors then I would be dead. So don't stress, I'm sure you'll be fine :)

• LAN

No. It sounds like you looked up leukemia online and wrote down symptoms to match up to it. You are most likely a hypochondriac that gets off on being the center of attention by claiming to be sick. The people you know in real life know this about you so you come here to try to pull this off. Hospitals don't release at risk patients.

Nope.

Sounds like pneumonia

• april

It would've shown in blood tests in the hospital.

• Robt

How about actually asking local educated doctors