WS: What are your thoughts and opinions on the WWE "Gang Wars" 1997-98?

Stables:

Nation of Domination (Faarooq, Rocky Maivia, D'Lo Brown, and Kama Mustafa)

Los Boricuas (Savio Vega, Miguel Perez, José Estrada Jr., and Jesús Castillo)

Disciples of Apocalypse (Crush, Chainz, 8-Ball, and Skull)

The Truth Commission (The Jackyl, Kurrigan The Interrogator, Recon, and Sniper)

The Hart Foundation (Bret "Hitman" Hart, Owen Hart, "The British Bulldog" Davey Boy Smith, and Jim "The Anvil" Neidhart)

and...

D-Generation X (Shawn Michaels, Hunter Hearst Helmsley, Chyna, and "Ravishing" Rick Rude)

• Candle
    Favorite Answer

It's an interesting idea, if not an overblown one. The problem with it on this scale is that there are going to be losers who fall hard. Case in point; most people don't know anyone in the Los Boricua's other than Savio Vega, and that's if they remember the stable at all, which I can't say is entirely the case with D.O.A. Truth Commission is remembered out of necessity not to repeat the same mistakes in the future. But yeah, when your tertiary stables all fall to the wayside, and the biggest star out of them is Savio Vega, it might not be worth the effort.

Now, what people do remember is D-X at odds with Nation of Domination. It spawned a plethora of new talents onto the mainstream scene, had some great promos and segments attached to it, and hit a social nerve at the time in both wrestling and media culture. I'd argue they could have done more if NoD weren't distracted by D.O.A. or Los Boricua's so much. Guys like D'Lo Brown would have benefited greatly if they weren't bogged down in the midcard and lower mediocrity of their branch off factions. Farooq could have as well if his feud over gang leadership against the Rock had branched out into a longer rivalry and maybe even some of the success that WWE was looking or with Ahmed Johnson, but with a more seasoned, decorated, and talented performer.

Maybe if it, and this is going to sound sort of insane, maybe if it took an all-encompassing approach the number of factions would've been warranted. If everyone in the WWE were forced to pick a side instead of the slim pickings of the lower card, maybe the feud could've been something, but as it stands all anyone is ever going to remember in the long run is DX vs Nation of Domination.

• Aren't you forgot The Hart Foundation with Bret Owen Bulldog and Anvil.

I thought Disciples vs Nation vs Los Boriquas was kind of racist. But I guess it made sense sine Crush and Savio Vega had been part of the Nation before and were kicked out so they formed their own groups to get back at the Nation.

DX vs Hart Foundation I don't know if I'd put that in the same category.

I thought it was a good way for tag teams and not known wrestlers to stand out there and make a name for themselves.

I thought it was pretty cool however I did wish there were more stables.