Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMovies · 4 years ago

How do you find out who owns the rights to a movie?

I want to write a screen play that is a remake of the movie Telefon (1977) starring Charles Bronson, Lee Remick and Donald Pleasence.

In the original - we find there are a whole bunch of Russian communist sleeper cells programmed to blow up various USA infrastructures when they get a phone call and a code word is spoken. Turns out a Russian general is trying to start WWIII.

I want to rewrite it with Muslim sleeper cells, with radical Islamic leaders making the phone calls. The new version of the script practically writes itself.

But I don't want to do all the work and then find no one can produce it because Paramount or Disney owns the rights to the original.

So, how do you find out who owns the rights to a movie?

Favorite Answer

see company credits in imdb.com http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0076804/?ref_=nm_flmg_... or watch the movie and pause on the end credits to see who has the copyright. Also note the script was inspired by a book.

Not sure folks will want to see the movie, but maybe that is just me.

Paramount are a distributor, Disney a production studio. Disney own it.