Alex asked in SportsBaseball · 3 years ago

Are the red sox that good or are the yankees that bad?

I think the yankees are one of the worst teams in the league, and have the worst manager in the league too. No one should be proud of beating them, not even a little league team. The red sox are overrated.

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 years ago
    Best Answer

As someone who was born in 1986, this is a rare phenomenon which I’ve never experienced. At least, not since I was six years old, but back then I was pouring my intellectual resources into trying to unlock the flying blue Yoshi in Super Mario World. (That Yoshi was my boy).

The Yanks are 8-15, and coming off of a sweep at the hands of the rival Red Sox in Boston. Their offense is abysmal–ranking 27th in the majors in runs scored, 29th in hits, 24th in batting average, and 28th in RBI.

The starting pitching might be even worse–as starters Luis Severino (6.86), Michael Pineda (6.33), Nathan Eovaldi (5.33), Ivan Nova (5.14) and CC Sabathia (5.06) have all posted ERA’s more bloated than Bartolo Colon’s waistline. As a team, the Yankees rank 24th in the majors with a 4.85 ERA, though that’s been boosted by a lights-out back end of the bullpen that’s only been good for six saves so far, mostly because the team never has a lead late in games.

Jacoby Ellsbury, who will make $153 million over seven years, is hitting .247 with one home run and 9 RBI . (AP Photo/Tony Gutierrez)

Jacoby Ellsbury, who will make $153 million over seven years, is hitting .247 with one home run and 9 RBI . (AP Photo/Tony Gutierrez)

This doesn’t seem like just a slow start–it’s hard to envision a 40-year old A-Rod (.203 BA, 5 HR, 12 RBI, .286 OBP) suddenly getting hot and carrying the team through the summer. It’s just as hard to see a 39-year-old Carlos Beltran (.250 BA, 4 HR, 9 RBI, .273 OBP), a 36-year-old Mark Teixeira (.225 BA, 3 HR, 11 RBI), or even an irretrievable Chase Headley (.156 BA, 0 HR, 2 RBI) becoming catalysts for a second-half surge.

This team is old, predictable, and poorly built. It’s full of steroids-era sluggers who can’t beat out infield hits, never grab extra bases and continually hit into the shift. It’s ridden with horribly shortsighted contracts, like A-Rod’s and Beltran’s, which are very much an indictment on Brian Cashman’s reactionary style of general managing.

It’s patched up with big acquisitions here and there–Brian McCann, Andrew Miller, Aroldis Chapman–but overall, it seems like there’s no plan, no desire to get younger, speedier, more athletic–to, you know, adapt with the way the game of baseball has been evolving.

On paper, the Yankees’ pitching staff could have turned out much better than it’s been. Pineda was a stud young prospect with the Mariners and seemed like a steal in the trade for Jesus Montero, once a top Yankees catching prospect.

Nova, Severino and Eovaldi all have terrific stuff, and have all shown flashes of brilliance, much in the way the last crop of touted Yankees farmhands (Phil Hughes, Ian Kennedy, Joba Chamberlain) did. But like that group, injuries and inconsistency has gotten in the way of something that could have been special.

There’s still hope for the future, as highly-touted outfielder Aaron Judge is working his way through Triple-A right now, and Greg Bird looked like the power-hitting first baseman of the future when he was thrust into a starting role with the Yanks last season.

But things don’t look nearly as bright in the Bronx as they do in Boston, where young stars like Mookie Betts, Xander Bogaerts, Christian Vazquez, Brock Holt, Travis Shaw and Eduardo Rodriguez look like the foundation of a team that has a chance to compete for a long time–despite the disastrous signings of Pablo Sandoval and Hanley Ramirez.

For the first time in my lifetime, the Yankees are legitimately bad. And their half-empty, overpriced, steakhouse-including, Mohegan-Sun-bar-having, intentionally-obstructed-outfield-view-having mistake of a stadium will be even more depressing to watch (or not watch, if you have Comcast) on TV.

Of course, they’ll probably go out and sign Bryce Harper and Mike Trout in the next few years, and go right back to being the Evil Empire of baseball by 2020.

But for now, there’s something kind of refreshing about these new, downtrodden Yankees. Being a fan isn’t as easy as buying a hat and cheering the inevitable 400-foot bomb or seven shutout innings from your $100 million number-1 starter.

It’s hard being a fan now, but for the true Yankees fans still riding and dying with this team, it’s going to be rewarding.

Kind of like finally getting that flying blue Yoshi.

(OK, that was dumb, but six-year-old me would be pumped right now).

-Kels Dayton

• 3 years ago

Obviously the Yankees aren't the worst team in the league considering they had a 6 game winning streak going into their 4 game series with the Red Sox. And Joe Girardi is most definitely not the worst manager in the league.

• Fozzy
    Lv 7
    3 years ago

The fact that you are an idiot shouldn't mean the Red Sox are overrated.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.