What are the two integral-shaped signs beside the strings in violin?

2 Answers

Relevance
  • bka
    Lv 7
    3 years ago
    Best Answer

they aren't "signs".. meaning, they aren't just drawn on there. they are sound-holes in the wood that let the wood vibrate more freely to move more air and amplify the strings' vibrations better.

the shape is party aesthetic and partly practical. older instruments had C holes instead of F holes, but the middle part of the C breaks off pretty easily, so its not a popular design anymore, the F shape is sturdier.

i guess flat top instruments can just have a basic round hole in the middle..

but arch top instruments usually have the two holes on either side, since the top of the arch needs to be structurally stronger.

viola d'amores have even more ornamental designs. maybe cause with so many strings the bridge is wider, so there wasn't room for a typical f shape? or maybe just tradition/aesthetics...

they get the flaming swords! and i think they can have a round hole under the fingerboard too...

theres been a lot of experimentation with various shapes over the centuries that they've been making string instruments. so the shape you see is a product of the best sound, less damage prone design, and what people liked looking at.

• bka
      Lv 7
      3 years agoReport

my vielle has C holes and im always terrified im gonna snap them right off!

• Liz
    Lv 7
    3 years ago

Do you meant the "f" holes?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.