Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentImmigration · 4 years ago

can i take an American citizenship test?

i met my husband three years ago when i was 17 and he was 19 i lived in London and he was on holiday there when he went back to New York we started a long distance relationship after a year and a half he asked me to come to new York and marry him which i did but just before our 2 year anniversary i found out he was cheating and now we are getting divorced i don't want to go back to London because Ive made a new life new friends and a new job so can i take the test

5 Answers

  • Anonymous
    4 years ago
    Favorite Answer

    You can't take the citizenship test unless you have had your permanent green card for at least a year. So do you have your temporary 2 year green card? Or your permanent 10 year green card?

    If you don't have your 10 year green card yet, call off the divorce ,act like you want to reconcile, move back in with him. Then wait until you have your permanent green card before you file for divorce again. If you divorce before you have been married for 3 years, it will be a total of 5 years before you can apply for US citizenship

    If you divorce before you have your 10 year green card you cannot stay in the US. You have to return home. That is just a temporary green card and the condition is that you are married and living with your spouse. Once you are no longer living together you have to leave the country

  • 4 years ago

    You need to have a green card and be married at least 3 years before you can apply for citizenship. That is,if your husband is a U.S.citizen.

  • Anonymous
    4 years ago

    Do you have your green card you give no details

    to get citizen you have to hold the 10 year green card for 3 years..after divorce it will be 5 years

    if you have no green card or a 2 year conditional you go home

  • Lisa A
    Lv 7
    4 years ago

    You can apply to take the test on the 5th anniversary pf the date printed on your green card.

    No green card? No test. No citizenship.

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • i + i
    Lv 7
    4 years ago

    You can apply, but you will have

    a very long wait ahead of you --

    the list of people before you is

    very very long, and now the

    bureaucratic hurdles are

    enormous. In the meantime

    (depending on the type of job

    you have), you might be able

    to get your work to try and get

    you a work visa.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.