Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 4 years ago

German Shepard or Akita?

My dog is due to be put down soon. Six months at best before just old becomes just kill me already. Till then I need to get things ready for a new puppy. There are two breeders in the area that will each have litters by the spring. I know both of them very well and their dogs are very healthy. One's working with Akitas and the other German Shepherds. Unlike when I got my husky, I have options! The purpose of my dog is to secure the coup from wildlife and be alert to strangers on the property. Training isn't really the concern seeing as I got a husky to manage that task. But health issues are. I don't need a dog that's going to cost a small fortune in vet bills. He/She will need to be comfortable with mountainous terrain and cold climates too.

There is also another breeder in the area who's breeding Caucasian Shepard. I don't know how reputable his dogs are or his breeding practices so I'm skeptical. But I'm willing to gamble if the reward is high. I can afford two dogs, but I'd rather just have one to keep costs low.

I've got till spring so this is just a jumping off point for research.

Alright Lizzie, than what would you recommend?

Favorite Answer

German Shepherds, as the name implies, are good farm dogs. Especially for herding. They have acute senses and a family/pack mentality. They are sturdy, very flexible with their climate, and fairly easy on grooming. Training is hit or miss. Some are extremely responsive to train others require a firm hand. Health wise, they do have a history of health problems mostly with joints and some history of cancer. However, this usually doesn't arise till around 12-15 of age. 2-5 More years than husky's from what I gather.

Akitas are generally health dogs with only minor issues. They are harder on grooming as they're fluffy dogs but they are great for living in colder climates and high altitudes. They are generally good security dogs but would require training for work with livestock. However, their nature would likely indicate a fight or die mentality when it comes to protecting the family. They are harder to train and are actually marked by most insurance agencies as a liability. Your rates will go up. It should be noted they have breed specific immunity issues. Might be risky for vaccinations or infections.

Caucasians are big *** dogs. Strong family mentality and definitely farm dogs. Good for security and not a lot of wildlife is going to brave enough to go toe-toe with one. Training will be difficult, but manageable for experienced trainers. They do have a history of hip and heart problems, but usually live long lives. They would do well in cold and mountainous climates. Though they don't have a record of overbreeding and inbreeding that you see in rots, I would refrain from adopting from a breeder who's rep you know nothing about. Its a dog that requires a lot of training and work, which could be enhanced with behavioral or health problems.

Your dog, is your dog so bad off it can't walk or urinate or something? Dogs can live into their 20's. My dog is 16 years old. He limps a little, has cataracts, and doesn't hear as well as he once did. But he is no where needing to be put down. He is happy. Do Not prepare for a new puppy until your dog is gone. That would be cruel for the family member, the dog. A dog (any animal) knows what you are doing. German shepherds are good, smart dogs. Akitas are great friends too. Shepherds are easy to groom. Akitas have lots of fur.

• Kirbee

You don't need two dogs if you can't afford large vet bills on one...no one can guarantee you a healthy dog - having enough money set aside to cover emergency vet bills is what a responsible owner does. Never heard of a Caucasion Shepard - forget him. An Akita would be the ideal breed and protector in cold climates. You need to research their health issues. Bad hips usually run in the larger breeds. Dog ownership is not to be gambled for high rewards...

• Lizzie

Akitas dont bark much, not even to alert you to strangers on your property.

German shepherds have a lot of genetivc and other health problems. I'd look for another breed. A caucasian shepherd might not be right for you, either. There are more places you can get puppies from, where the breeders are quite reputable, than what is nearby.

Correct spelling Shepherd.

First, provide for your elderly dog first as needed, instead of tossing it aside like an old shoe, and planning for a replacement, you will get old one day also, would you want someone to do this to you?

Then you need to go through the grieving process before even thinking about this, this can vary from individual to individual, may only take a few months to a year or more.