WHEN WILL WE GET FLYING CARS ACCESIBLE TO THE PUBLIC? WITHIN THE NEXT 100 YEARS?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 years ago
    Best Answer

Arthur C Clarke once observed that people get too optimistic about technological progress for the short run, and then too pessimistic for the long term. I think that is what has happened with this particular technology. When I was a kid, I watched the Jetsons a lot. In those days, the "future" was around 2000. That was when we were supposed to be living the Jetsons. Everyone would have their own rocket packs, with which we could zip around in, flying cars, robot maids, homes and offices in the sky that looked like the Space Needle.

Ironically though, the Jetsons was not set in 2000, but in 2061. I think that's a good ballpark for when we'll have practical flying cars.

If you think about it, we've had flying cars of a sort for some time now. It doesn't require any sort of special technology at the basic level. They're called helicopters. It is quite possible to build small inexpensive helicopters right now. It's not a question of technology really--it's more about regulation, licensing, safety, and infrastructure.

I think driver-less technology, once it is perfected and demonstrated to be reliable in ordinary ground cars, will help clear the way for the first three objections. I imagine vehicles, approximately car sized, maybe a bit wider or taller, emerging from people's garages where the roof opens, not a door on the side. They might look hemispheric, two contra-rotating fan blades, negating the need for a tail, driven perhaps by an electric induction motor of sufficient power, similar to a Tesla. The blades and motor might be at the bottom, surrounded by a wire mesh, with a floor filled with Lithium batteries, maybe graphene batteries if someone finds a means to mass-produce that amazing material, and then the passengers on top of that, enclosed in a transparent dome, sitting on a ring of seats after they tell the car their destination.

At first, they will be toys of the rich. People will be stuck in the horrible traffic on the highways, and look above longingly as the wealthy zip above them to their offices downtown. It will become a status symbol, and more and more people will buy them, and the cost will come down as manufacturers find ways to bring the costs down and mass produce more. New buildings and garages will gradually be designed to accommodate the new cars. It might be necessary for the new cars to be able to hover just a few feet off the ground so that they can enter existing garages, but eventually, as new buildings are designed and built, the garages might migrate to the tops of buildings, or perhaps a garage to the side where cars land on top, and are moved by elevator down to a parking spot.

• 3 years ago

It could probably happen in the next 50 years or so. But they would have to be autonomous so they wouldn't fly over areas that they shouldn't over or fly in bad weather or crash into each other. Being autonomous would be the key thing to solve the major problems with making flying cars accessible to the public. It could even be sooner than 50 years.

• Anonymous
    3 years ago

Within the next 100 years, looks like we will be picking up the toys instead of getting more... mark my words...

• 3 years ago

Well they were promised by 1985 by Al Gore ,,,guess he is a liar and his flood from Global Warming did not happen either IT APPEARS LIBERALS ARE FULL OF S H I T

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 3 years ago

No, even if invented the threat of them being used as weapons would be to great. My guess is private planes and drones will be limited before that.

• Anonymous
    3 years ago

Hopefully never...I wouldn't trust the general population with that ever...

• Anonymous
    3 years ago

When Islam is gone. We can't trust them with flying vehicles.

• Mr E
    Lv 7
    3 years ago

people are too stupid to operate safely in two dimensions, and you want them flying over your house?

• Bob
    Lv 7
    3 years ago

yes

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.