Stuey asked in Business & FinanceInsurance · 4 years ago

Can you give me suggestions of what to choose for a medicare supplement plan?

I've just received a brochure from Anthem Blue Cross about my time getting closer to getting medicare. It will be 15 months from now, and it can't get here soon enough for me. It's sad someone has to want to get older so they get better insurance. They aren't open today, so I'm wondering if you can give me some help on what is best to choose. Is medicare advantage like an HMO, and then a supplement a PPO? I prefer a PPO, so if it is what's the best one to choose? I know I have some time, I'm surprised to now already be receiving this. Time goes by quickly & I'd like to educate myself on my best options & how it works. Thanks for any advise.

• Zarnev
    Favorite Answer

Medicare Supplements are Fee For Service just like original Medicare. Medicare Supplements pay after Medicare pays. The most comprehensive Supplement pays 100% of the charges after Medicare while other Supplements pay less. The types of Supplements in most states are Plans A, B, C, D, F, G, K, L, M, N, Select C, Select F, and Hi Deductible F. Not all plans are available in all areas and not all companies have all plans.

Medicare Advantage plans can be HMO, HMO/POS, PPO, PFFS, SNP, MSA, Dual, PACE, and COST plans. Advantage plans pay INSTEAD of Medicare. Not all plans are available in all areas and not all companies have all plans.

There are pros and cons with both Advantage plans and Supplements and neither type is better for everyone in every situation.

If you speak with an agent that works with both types and who represents all of the major companies in your area they'll be able to explain the plans available to you and they won't charge you anything. I usually spend over an hour explaining Medicare and the plans with my clients, and that is after I've check doctor networks and analyzed their prescriptions.

Source(s): Independent Ägent, Certified Senior Advisor®
  • ?

well, a medicare comes with 4 parts. A,B,C,D. A and B covers office vists and 80% of hospital cost, then you are responsible for 20%. part D is prescrition drug coverage, which you have to get from 3rd party people. medicare advantage is is pretty much like regular medicare, except it has a out of pocket limit, and can come with dental, prescription drug, and vision, which regular medicare don't have. just depends on what you choose and want to pay for. and a supplemental is just addition coverage for regular medicare. it covers the 20% and deductible of office visit. this is just the jest of it. if you want to know more in detail, your just going to have to do some reading.