Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMusicOther - Music · 4 years ago

Is the Great American Songbook much overrated?

Favorite Answer

Under-rated in my opinion. They have stood the rest of time, and many recent artists like Lady Gaga have recorded them and introduced them to a new generation of listeners. The songs are actually challenging to sing well, and it is a testament to the skills of the singers who manage to make them sound so easy. They aren't to everyone's tastes, and no music appeals to everyone all the time, but I could easily write a book explaining the merits of songs written by Americans like George and Ira Gershwin, Cole Porter, Rodgers and Hart, Comden and Green, Irving Berlin, Cy Coleman, Harold Arlen, and so on. They won't be singing Lil Wayne 70 years from now.

P.S. You aren't referring to Rod Stewart's album CALLED "Great American Songbook", are you? I have less rave reviews for that, but it was a decent enough effort for a rock star.

• Tim

I'd say it's more dated than overrated.