Does my apartment complex (in Michigan) have to change the carpet after we move out since we have both a dog and a cat and pay pet rent?

We have a moderately sized stain covering about 1 square foot of carpet in our apartment. The carpet was new on move-in and the stain was not pet-related as it is a bleach stain. Also, we have been living there for about 3 months and plan to stay for another 10-20 months. I have been told by a few friends that I do not even need to worry about fixing it and just to cover it with a rug for now since the law requires them to change carpet after each pet owner (especially cat owner) in case the next tenant has allergies.

Is this true? I cannot find anything specifically saying that online. My thinking is that it may not be an actual law but something that is common practice to avoid liability. Can anyone help clarify this?

Favorite Answer

There is nothing you would find in the law or written that a landlord is required to change the carpet, when the former tenant had a pet leave.

A few landlords have experienced being sued by a tenant, that had allergies and moved into a rental unit that formerly had a pet. Since this has been the past, most landlords are now proactive and would change the

carpet before a new tenant with potential medical problems would move into the rental unit that formerly had pets.

Even if the landlord has not personally had this experience, they have heard nightmares from other landlords that have been sued and the financial loss they had. Some of these warnings might be in the trade magazine of landlords called the Landlord's Association.This organization publish warnings to their members, thus preventing potential financial loss to their members.

I hope this has been of some benefit to you, good luck.

"FIGHT ON"

• Judith

There is no law in Michigan (and I doubt anywhere else) which requires any landlord to change carpeting when a person moves out who had a pet. You ruined the carpet; you need to pay to replace it or- at the very least forfeit your security deposit. Most carpets need to be professionally cleaned when someone moves out; not replaced. Pets or no pets.

I've been renting in Michigan since the 1960s.

• Kini

The law does not require a landlord to buy new carpeting after each pet owner leaves. You should have carpet cleaned as soon as possible so the stain can be removed.

Ask your "friends" where they got their law degree and what year they passed the bar exam.

Until they can answer that, ignore their advice. They are wrong. There is no such law. You can (and probably will) be charged for the cost of replacing the carpet, since the stain is clearly beyond normal wear & tear and the carpet will be only about 2 years old when you move out.

• R P

You caused the damage, so you are responsible for either the cost of the repair or a depreciated cost if the entire carpeting has to be replaced.

Your friends are not landlords. If your landlord replaces the carpet because you have a pet, you get to foot the bill for it.

Your friend is entirely wrong. There is no such law, and landlords often do not change carpets after a pet owning tenant leaves. It appears that you damaged the carpet with bleach. Expect the landlord to expect you to pay for that.

I would quietly replace as much of the carpet as necessary to make it look perfect. Do it immediately so that everything wears at the same rate. The newer the carpet, the easier it will be to match.

• tro

in some states landlords are required to replace carpet every 5 yrs as the tenants move out, your Mich web site will have the tenancy/landlord laws the state has in effect, and your local housing authority may have more

No, they do not. No law requires a carpet change out, anywhere. It is also not common practice.