Getting payed less then I should (army) e1?

Long story short I'm an army infantryman officially and still in OSUT ready to graduate. I have noticed my pay ACH credit-DFAS army pay always deposits only 544 dollars every two weeks or so. I check the updated pay and it seems I'm suppose to be making 1566 a month on e-1 pay. I'm aware the first month I get crap because eagle cash card and etc but this is constantly happening. Does the army take stuff out. What about taxes is the government and state taking money out automatically? I'm in Georgia at moment also. I can't seem to understand why it's that low. I also contributed 4 percent to TSP starting off but it still shouldn't be as low as 544 more like 700-600 dollars please help

• Mutt

Have you never held a job before? Is the Army your first employment?

Just like other jobs, you still must pay taxes. There are some tax breaks exclusively for military members (such as no federal taxes on pay while in a combat zone), but you still have to pay them otherwise. Considering that you are in training, that would be federal and state income tax, Social Security tax, and Medicare tax, and what ever other deductions you may have.

Your LES (which is similar to a pay stub you get from an employer) will show all the deductions, and why you are getting paid what you are.

• NWIP

Pay isn't every 2 weeks, it's twice a month. There is a BIG difference. Just like it is PAID not payed.

Why haven't you viewed your LES? That is available to you and will show the whole month about 1 week before the EOM pay.

Yes you pay taxes, taxes are based not on where you live but where you joined. Then there is Social Security, Medicare, SGLI, AFRH and the TSP

• JetDoc

Social security and income taxes are deducted out of that monthly paycheck before you get it, as well as any insurance or allotments you have set up. Learn to READ the complete Leave and Earnings Statement (LES) to find out where your pay is going.

• TedEx

Keep in mind, Army pay IS subject to social security and federal income tax withholding.,.

Your Gross Income is $1,566/month, and after your TSP, Federal Tax, FICA, State Tax, and (assuming) GI Bill, THEN you are not getting PAID less THAN you should.

Getting PAID $1,088/month Net Income ($544*2) seems to be correct, but look at your LES to be sure.

• Go to MyPay, pull up your LES and see what's being deducted

Yeah guy. Taxes are taken out automatically. Like any other working adult

• Mrsjvb

pay is the 15th and 1st, not every two weeks and you can expect to lose about 25-30% off the top for taxes and other non negotiable fees(FICA, etc)

your EOM LES displays very clearly what is being taken out every month.

I wanna now how the hell you're on the internet on sand hill

• Tavy

You should have some kind of payslip which lists deductions.

I can see it already...you're going to be "that guy"!