Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 4 years ago

Good dessert to go with this appetizer and entree?

I'm having 4 of my boyfriend's work colleagues and their wives/girlfriends over for dinner Friday (so cooking for 10 people total).

I'm planning on making shrimp chowder with herby biscuits to start followed by blackened catfish with spicy sweet potato wedges (my boyfriend's favorite dish) with sides of garlic broccoli, bacon mac and cheese, and sauteed mushrooms.

What dessert would be good to end the meal?

Favorite Answer

I would do one of these:

Key Lime Pie. Nice and tart and an easy fast pie to make.

Lime Bars. I fond the recipe on All Recipes. It is much like a Lemon Bar but a lime glazes is added. Very tart and refreshing.

Lemon Bars. Again refreshing and I would take the lime glaze from the other recipe and add a Lemon Glaze to the lemon bar.

A few comments about the menu though.

Go easy on the garlic some people do not like eating a lot of garlic if they know they will be sitting and talking to people after dinner.

Not sure how the sauteed mushrooms fit in and I love sauteed mushrooms. I just don't picture them with fish and mac-n-cheese.

And personally I don't think I would serve a creamy soup and then serve a creamy cheesy dish at dinner. And it is a tough decision, I love shrimp chowder and I love Mac-N-Cheese then when you toss bacon into it I'm all over that! I think I would opt for a Gumbo and maybe swap out the biscuits for a cheddar jalapeno cornbread. But the herb biscuits would be great as well.

Poached Pear with Chantilly Cream or Ice Cream

Lemon Cheesecake

Lemon Meringue Pie

Key Lime Pie

Apple Tart

Apple or Lemon Sponge with Custard

Sticky Toffee Pudding

Tiramisu

For 10 people I would suggest two desserts so there is a choice.

As most of the items you are serving have bolder flavors, I would suggest bolder desserts, one chocolate and one fruity type dessert. I would also suggest that the two desserts be things that would taste good together, as some will want a small slice of each.

• Robyn

Okay first of all, that meal sounds delicious. I would say that because everything seems pretty heavy, you might want to end on a lighter note. Tiramisu could be a nice option, or maybe angel food cake with berries and whipped cream... something along those lines would keep the whole meal from being too rich. I would say anything decadent like a rich chocolate cake or something caramel might be too much.

• C.M. C

I would be doing something like a cleanser, like sorbets, orange or lemon, cantaloupe goes down really well, and so easy to make, and it's no fuss.

What is throwing me the curve ball is the blackened catfish, and I would be inclined to go with a lemon sorbet.

I am suggesting the fresh fruit sorbets, with not much added sugar at all.

Something light:

Lemon sorbet with pizelles

Maybe some 20-year old tawny port, served with a small plate on which you put a 2"-square of dark chocolate, topped with one dried apricot, topped with one walnut half.

• denise

Maybe individual meringue pavlovas, or A light fruit mousse with mini shortbreads.

Something not heavy like raspberry sorbet. Actually, I think key lime pie works-- (as long as it's tangy) the lime makes it seem lighter than it is.

You could serve pudding or custard in wine glasses, and top them with fresh berries and a shortbread cookie for decoration.

• Emma

Individual lemon and chocolate tarts topped with fresh berries