I have just heard Katherine Jenkins singing 'I dreamed a dream' in French.?

But what is your opinion of Abba singing their songs in Spanish?

La Jenkins' Frenching sounds OK to me but French people get very funny with me when I start mangling their language.

Favorite Answer

Since ABBA was a Swedish pop group, I don't find it any odder they would sing in Spanish than they would in ENGLISH. Some songs were released in several languages for worldwide sales.

I haven't heard "Katherine Jenkins" singing "I Dreamed a Dream" in French, But again--did you realize that the musical "Les Misérables" (with its untranslatable French title) , was originally written in French by a French composer/lyricist team, and based on a famous French novel about the French Revolution? I don't think it's much of a stretch there. Either Jenkins went back to the original musical (in which actually several tunes and themes were switched around because the meter and words wouldn't work "in translation), or she had the English lyrics translated into (very likely) bad, awkward French. You didn't include a link to listen to, and I find Katherine Jenkins annoying on so many levels, I'm not going to sit through several videos trying to find what version you're talking about. I'm sure her French is tolerable even though her singing may not be.

If French people get funny with you, maybe you ought to stop "mangling their language".