Atheists, what is your opinion of Donald J. Trump?

• G C
    Favorite Answer

Thankfully, he will be the next president of the US.

• Tom

He is bigoted , has the attention span of a three year old and is a chronic liar.

The product of a democracy that neglegted to move forward and failed to understand that a two party system with a hand full of superwealthy donors is like a half dictatorship.

Facism is always a reaction to issues in a democratic system, historically speaking it can only really get a foot in younger democracies and not in older more stable ones.

The last big rise of facism was in the countries that were still recovering from war and had a new system of goverment: the Weimar republic , the Second Spanish republic. But the United states is one of the first if not the first modern democracy ,and there hasn't been a war on US soil for more then a century. YET IT HAS UNDERMINED ITSELF, It has allowed reprasentatives from it's two parties to make changes to it's laws, under the guises of 'market' and 'speach' (Corparations are people ? are you insane ? ) for far too long.

There was not enough check on them as the parties started up call centers where senators and congressmen spend their time raising funds for their re-election. Something that would be considered bribrary if done from within parlamentary walls.

The same faux ideologies have infected the European Union as well but because there are far more parties , small parties can stand up to it without feeling the need to 'level the playing field ' as is the case with the major parties in the US.

I see Trump not only as the failed businessman with mob ties, I see him as emblematic of a system in trouble. The fact that Hillary Clinton is considered the lesser evil should worry you. In a healthy system the wife of a former president would not have such a grip on a party that it ignores it's own rule book.

He may end up being the ultimate example of "you get what you wish for".

Although for the sake of America's continued decent relationship with the countries which haven't totally given up on it yet, I hope he doesn't.

I'm a Brit living outside my home country, and I meet quite a few Americans who are likewise living outside theirs. Nearly all of them are university educated (as it's a requirement for a visa to live here), articulate and generally represent their country well. Not a single one of them has a single positive thing to say about Trump.

Yet he's made it this far, which tells us something quite interesting, and more than a little disturbing, about the mindset of a significant number of Americans and how he is able to exploit that.

I sometimes wonder if the whole Trump candidacy isn't a huge, well-orchestrated trolling of the USA, but it would appear not to be.

Reynaldo : I'll be the first to admit that I'm not an expert on US politics. My point is that (and again I'm sure you will correct me if I'm wrong) that there probably weren't many people who seriously thought he would get this far. In 2002 in France, Jean-Marie Le Pen (who you could probably get away with comparing to Trump in respect of the way he ran his campaigns) made it into the second round of the general election, which shook France to the core. He consequently got utterly wiped out by Chirac, but the fact that he got that far at all was considered something of a scandal. This situation with Trump strikes me as not dissimilar.

• He may NOT end up being that. Why do you act like you know what's happening in the U. S? Trump got less that a third of Republican votes in the primaries. The popular vote in November will be the most lop sided in history.

From an atheist angle i assume? Trump is everything that Christianity opposes but simultaneously more favoured by Christians; this kind of gullibility (along with George Bush) is really not a good advert for Christianity and only benefits us atheists, give them enough rope and they will hang themselves i say

• Bryce

Donald J. Trump is a megalomaniac and an immense fool.

• Tony B

I don't think much of him at all. He's not at all the sort of person I admire or respect. I think that someone like that is dangerous and has thepotential to cause a lot of harm.

But, I'm not American so really, it's none of my business.

Many Atheists think that Trump has the stones to get the job done,

yet can't help but wonder why he, as a Protestant, settles for and believes in something so flawed as a 'jesus'.

• Until now I wasn't aware of any atheist who thought that.

He has out-Republicaned the Republicans. Getting people to vote against their own interests to benefit the rich used to be done by appealing to racism and bigotry through the sanitizing lens of religion. He has done away with the sanitizing process and tapped straight into the underlying hate and resentment. Instead of saying God wants you to channel your dissatisfaction away from your masters and towards various minorities he is saying your own bigotry wants you to channel your dissatisfaction away from your masters and towards various minorities. Far more effective because it has a refreshing honesty about it.

• issac

He is a dangerous candidate. No one who has displayed his level of ignorance and hubris should be given access to the largest nuclear arsenal in the world.

He's a spoiled rich kid who needs to get his аss kicked. He's also a terrible businessman?

A vile, egomaniacal, mentally unstable gas-bag.