Will my nans home be sold to cover cost of a nursing home?? UK?

My nan is going in to a home, no one has power of attorney. (Or anything else)

She does not have capacity.

My brother and his girlfriend moved into the home while she had dementia, living there rent free and sold all her things, (her Royal doulton doll collection) etc also stopped people visiting.

As she don't have £25,000 in capital social services said that as there are children (my nephews) living at the home they are unable to sell it and her nursing home will be funded from the government. I'd rather her home be sold roughly £280 - £300k and her go into a private home and have the best care.

With respect, what you wish is irrelevant. You say that Social Services have already made the decision that the home cannot be sold. The fact that the care home will be funded by the local authority (not the government) does not imply inferior care at all. The vast majority of care homes in the UK operate to a high standard and are subject to inspection. As she is suffering from dementia she should be made a ward of court. The Court of Protection will deal with the welfare of the person. See link. A Power of Attorney may also be appropriate for her descendants. Contact Citizens Advice Bureau as they are very approachable and have experts in this field.

• My nephews are not depend and on my nans home really. Because my brother and his girlfriend could easily rent a house.
      Is there any other way around it.
      Every one says different, she "may" have to pay it back when she passes.
      They said the scheme from the LA was government funded.

No. Her home will be sold to pay for her residence,and care, no matter who is

living in the home. That is the law. The government will manage the funds from the sale for her keep.

In the uk consult your local citizen advice bureau for what to do

• Judy

You need to see an attorney - what your brother has done is illegal.