promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

I touched the back of my cpu, should I worry about it?

My processor arrived early today, then just out of curiosity I took it out of the plastic case and holding it for a few seconds I touched the back of it (the connector side) after that reading the manual I discovered that touching the cpu could damage it due to ESD, well It's my first time building a PC and I didn't know that, so now I'm freaking worried if something happened to it.

Should I be worried?

I think I was bare foot, does it help?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 years ago

    Touching the back of a CPU is not something to worry about. But I hope you put some CPU grease/paste on the back before placing the heat shield/fan on top.

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Fulano
    Lv 7
    4 years ago

    If you felt a shock maybe....

    But I'd also be concerned with the oils and such left on the chip, I'd give it a good scrubbin' before using it. A q-tip or something.

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 4 years ago

    The problem is static discharge. If you were barefoot you were probably grounded so nothing happened.

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • keerok
    Lv 7
    4 years ago

    The only way to be sure is to make it run. Install it already!

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 years ago

    You should be worried, yes.

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.