What are some good cheap gaming pc parts?

I m building a standard/high end gaming pc, i know the basics of building a computer but not alot, the thing that is the hardest for me is finding parts (that i can "trust"). If you know of any, could you please link some parts that are a good addition to a gaming pc that are not TOO expensive, im not one of those people who think you can buy the BEST PARTS EVER for only a tiny bit of money, im just looking for parts that are not extremely expensive that i wont regret buying a month later. Also what extra parts are good for gaming computers? (Things i dont NEED for the computer to work but that could be useful to have).

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 years ago
    Favorite Answer

CPU: Intel Skylake CPU (i3, i5, or i7 6000 series CPU depending on your budget). K series CPUs can be overclocked, but will cost more than the non-K variants.

AMD will be releasing their Zen architecture CPUs in a bit, but those are not on the market yet.

GPU: Nvidia 1000 series or AMD RX series depending on budget.

Alternatively, used GPUs will deliver a same or better price:performance ratio, but have a worse power:performance ratio

RAM: For most games, 8GB is enough. Try going for 2400Mhz CAS 15, Some more demanding games may require more than 8GB, but you can always add more RAM later on.

Hard drive: Western Digital Blue series or Seagate or Toshiba equivalent (7200RPM hard drives are a good compromise between speed and price). If you have the extra cash, a Samsung SSD will improve boot times. Other brands of SSDs will tend to be slower than Samsung SSDs, but be cheaper (eg OCZ, Corsair, Kingston, Patriot, etc)

Power supply: 80+ Bronze or better rated, anything that's not 80+ rated is trash.

All recent motherboards use the standard 20+4 pin power connector with a 4 pin CPU power connector.

All recent GPUs use a 6 or 8 pin power connector

All recent hard drives use a SATA power connector

Motherboard: If you don't intend on overclocking, a B150 or H110 motherboard will be fine, for overclocking, look at a Z170 motherboard.

Again, Zen has not been released so we do not know the CPU specs or motherboard specs.

The 3 common motherboard sizes are ATX, mATX, and ITX

ATX is probably the most common size, there are usually enough slots for up to 3 GPUs

mATX is basically an ATX motherboard with the bottom cut off, most can have up to 2GPUs, but some only have enough slots for one

ITX is the smallest of the bunch, only having enough slots for one GPU.

CPU cooler: Most CPUs will include a CPU cooler, but if you want something a little better, the Cooler Master 212 EVO and T4 are good, cheap heatsinks. Moving up, for around 40-50USD you can find 120mm closed loop water coolers, moving up to 60-70USD you can find 240mm water coolers.

The main things that are important for games are GPU, CPU, and RAM.

CPU will not affect FPS beyond a certain point depending on game. For example, Fallout 4 is very CPU heavy, and even the i5-6400 will slow down the frame-rate while something like Overwatch is very CPU light and will not benefit from a high end processor

GPU is the main factor in framerate, the recent Nvidia 1000 series and AMD RX series GPUs deliver very good performance, so don't worry too much about the GPU specs.

RAM will not affect gameplay/framerate beyond a certain point at all. 8GB is what most low, mid, and mid-high end gaming PCs have, a response time of .00000625s is ideal, for price:performance anything less is not noticeable (CAS / clock speed in hertz)

For finding the cheapest prices, PCPartPicker will lookup prices from reputable stores for free and auto-check compatibility.

If you could give us a rough budget, we could make a part list.

• ?
      Lv 6
      3 years agoReport

USD? This partlist will give you an idea of what to expect: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/37LTJV If you don't intend on overclocking, you can save some money by switching to a non Z bridge motherboard. The list doesn't have a SSD, but add one if you like.

• Marduk
    Lv 7
    3 years ago

MaximumPC.com has ratings for all kinds of parts and 3 builds in different price ranges. Go on You Tube to find tips on building. NewEgg.com is good for parts too.

• Anonymous
    3 years ago

Go with AMD:

Pros:

Innovators

Quality

Affordable

Cons:

Higher wattage

Less selections

Stay away from Intel:

Pros:

Mainstream

Less wattage than AMD chipset

Cons:

Over rated

Over priced

Over advertised

Out dated... Intel was good until AMD came along.

• 3 years ago

The term is "inexpensive", nobody wants to use "cheap" parts.

you want:

•CPU: Intel Core i7 4790, 4GHz or AMD equivalent

•GPU: NVIDIA GeForce 980 Ti or AMD Radeon R9 Fury X

•RAM: 16 GB

•VRAM: 6 GB

•HDD: one or two terabyte hard drive.

•DX: DirectX 12

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.