Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsMartial Arts · 3 years ago

When Bruce Lee says be like water, how do you become like water in your body or mind?

• Best Answer

Water can do many things. It can be soft, flow through yours fingers.But yet be hard as rock if you smack it. it conforms to any surface. Chi or Ki (Japanese) is the energy that flows through us. One example is Bruce Lee s 1 and 3 inch power punch. When a person clinches their fist they are fighting against their own arm to throw the punch. It has constricted the muscle s. If you notice how he would wave his arms kinda like a flag just flowing in the wind is because when you use a bullwhip the energy flow s down the whip and is discharged at the end. A wave flows and then hits the object with force. He also said, Don t think. Feel. What he meant was feel the Chi of your opponent.When Japanese swords men would dual there was not of sword clanging going on. They could stand there for hours without one motion until one felt the break of one s Ki and then would go in for the strike. In Aikido it is called Sen no Sen.

• Todd

He was a philosopher, which he was talking on different forms. His whole Jeet Kun Do was all about not being limited to one style. In essence, if you think about it, he was the first publicized MMA fighter with his philosophy of fighting, with the concept of water only being a part of it. Water in Japanese arts usually means defensive and mobile. With Bruce, it was more about the ability to change and where the energy goes. For example, when you play the piano making sure no water leaks. The energy flow down your arms into the fingers. You fail if you play flat fingered. You fail when you're limp wristed. Your body has to move energy with the piano to the finger tips. It's the same thing with fighting. The flow is there; you just need to know how to direct it.

• Simone

water can do numerous things... it can be soft, flow through yours fingers...but yet be hard as rock if you smack it... it conforms to any surface... chi or ki (japanese) is the energy that flows through us... one example is bruce lee s 1 and 3 inch power punch... when a person clinches their fist they are fighting against their own arm to throw the punch... it has constricted the muscle s... if you notice how he would wave his arms kinda like a flag just flowing in the wind is 'cause when you use a bullwhip the energy flow s down the whip and is discharged at the end... a wave flows and then hits the object with force... he also said, don t think... feel... what he meant was feel the chi of your opponent...when japanese swords men would dual there was not of sword clanging going on... they could stand there for hours without one motion until one felt the break of one s ki and then would go in for the strike... in aikido it is called sen no sen...

Bruce Lee was into Eastern esoteric philosophies of all kinds. "Be like water" goes back to Lao Tzu's 'Tao Te Ching', a set of principles that was later passed down to Zen Buddhism. You might have to meditate and attain enlightenment to fully grasp what "be like water" means.

There are several ways to interpret or look at this and let me give you a couple of examples. In a fight, especially one that is structured with rules and a referee and the possibility of a next round your opponent might be aggressive in the beginning, trying to establish control. You can either decide to go toe-to-toe with him or maybe instead relinquish that control to him while avoiding serious damage, letting himself tire out some, and then once that happens start to establish control of things in subsequent rounds. That's one example of it I think and how it relates to things.

Another example is take a person that is stronger than you physically speaking. If in a fight you directly then match your strength with them then you will probably be on the short end of things. An alternative and probably better strategy might be to avoid tying or locking up and wrestling with them while on your feet and instead use speed more to your advantage by engaging with strikes and punches and then breaking off contact before they can answer and then re-establishing contact again and re-engaging them and doing that on a repeated basis, wearing them down and nullifying the advantage of their greater strength.

A third example which I would sometimes use along with these others that I mentioned when kickboxing was when fighting someone that took a punch really well. I had a couple of fights with middle weights and so hurting them was more difficult because their walking around weight was 185 lbs or so while mine was 167 lbs and we were fighting at 165 lbs. To really hurt them I would sometimes fend being a little tired or maybe being slightly hurt after they connected with something and give way to them. Then as they became more aggressive and moved in to try and finish me I would suddenly plant my feet and nail them coming in. This tactic worked really well for me a number of times even when fighting at 135 lbs which was my normal weight class for fighting full contact.

Lastly is here is something to think about. Your opponent can not get close enough to really hurt you, unless he has a weapon, without him making himself vulnerable to your attacks or counter attacks generally speaking. So as he attacks he also leaves himself open in some way or another to your attacks and countering him. Being like water is in some ways like that also I think because water does not have any strict form or shape to it. Instead it assumes the shape of whatever contains it. Your approach to fighting at times like some of the examples I mention can be similar in the sense that you assume what ever shape circumstances or conditions surrounding your fight dictate to you and then deal with nullifying those circumstances or conditions effectively.

The way I look at it (this is my personal interpretation) is that he means be able to adapt in mind,body , and most importantly spirit. If water flowing down stream becomes blocked from deadfall, the water is able to lightly glide around the obstacle. As applies to martial arts, when ur expecting an arm bar in a completion because ur opponent has u mounted and is reaching for ur arm, don't be dead set that's what he is going to do. Be ready to adapt if he goes for the kimura (shoulder lock). In body, if ur opponent is larger than you, be ready to think and use his weight against him like in the art of aikido. In spirit, Don't just look at u and ur opponent as 2 separate entities, try to understand him, his goals, his tactics, and his thoughts. I believe quotes like this aren't subject to have only 1 meaning, I believe every single person has their own interpretations of them, just like music. This just happens to be mine. Thanks for reading

My opinion,

Water takes the path of least resistance.

Water breaks the stongest rocks from within.

Water can change its form when conditions change.

Water comes in liquid, steam, stream, gush, solid and various forms. Be like water, means learn to be flexible and change from second to second as required.

Water saves and it destroys. It's safe and it's dangerous.

BE LIKE WATER, MY FRIEND.

How do you be anything but a black belt 12 th degree writing for white press belts

Your body needs to move, like a reed in the wind