Elizabeth asked in SportsOlympics · 3 years ago

Why don't Olympic teams have their country's name in their own language?

I noticed that Russian uniforms will say "Russia" rather than Россия, German teams' uniforms say "Germany" rather than Deutschland. I feel like I would find that insulting if I were from one of those countries.

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Fozzy
    Lv 7
    3 years ago
    Best Answer

Simple. It is pandering to the American broadcasts. And the reason they do that is that American broadcast rights contribute more to the IOC than any other source of income.

In other words, they know which side their bread is buttered on.

• 3 years ago

Yh, I see your point. It would be much more interesting and diverse however, if you were an audience like 8 years old, you wouldn't know what country it is. It was written in English because it is one of the most spread languages in the world. Spread as in almost all of the countries speak it.

• Anonymous
    3 years ago

Commericalism, I'd love to see a return to the real languages, it'll give a more realistic perception of the World to the fans.

• 3 years ago

Because English is the official language of the Olympics. I think both languages should be used, so one for English and one for their home language in their uniforms.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    3 years ago

The gymnastic warm up suits had it in Cyrillic. But a lot of times the names are there so the media can identify them, and the major media outlet is NBC.

• NWIP
    Lv 7
    3 years ago

Some actually do say it in their native language. They have multiple uniforms to wear and choose from

• 3 years ago

In my opinion I think that the majoirty of the world does.not know the names of other countrys language but the majority does understand & know English

• 3 years ago

The Russian coaches etc have Russia in Russian on their jackets. Otherwise it seems they have the Olympic code on their backs, (IOC code) the three letters that refer to their nation.

• 3 years ago

Yeah I see your point. Maybe it should be in several languages.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.