promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesPhilosophy · 4 years ago

Is Hermes, the father of philosophers?

Considering the Greeks borrowed a lot from the Egyptian tradition. I will be choosing the Best Answer

Update:

"According to the Eastern, Islamic tradition of Hermes Trismegistus, Hermes was a divine philosopher or Prophet who lived before the time of the Greek philosophers, and he was the first person to whom God instructed the secrets of wisdom and divine and natural sciences. Muslims equate Hermes to the Prophet Idrís, whom the Jews know as Enoch. In the Qur'án, it is written: “Commemorate Idrís in the Book; for he was a man of truth, a Prophet; and we uplifted him to a place on high” - from BA link

Update 2:

Hermes is also called the "father of the philosophers" in the Muslim Hermetic tradition, because he was believed to be the most ancient of those who propagated wisdom and sciences. In accord with this tradition, Bahá'u'lláh writes in his Lawh Basít al-Haqíqat (Tablet on the Uncompounded Reality)." from best answer link below

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    4 years ago
    Favorite Answer

According to traditions quoted in Islam and Baha'i, Hermes Trismegistus is the first philosopher. http://bahai-library.com/brown_hermes_apollonius Also, http://encyclopedia.summitlighthouse.org/index.php...

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 4 years ago

A sage, a prophet, a being of great light with much wisdom.

Does he ever say he is the father of philosophers?

I do not know.

"THUNDER rolled, lightning flashed, the veil of the Temple was rent from top to bottom. The venerable initiator, in his robes of blue and gold, slowly raised his jeweled wand and pointed with it into the darkness revealed by the tearing of the silken curtain: "Behold the Light of Egypt! " The candidate, in his plain white robe, gazed into the utter blackness framed by the two great Lotus-headed columns between which the veil had hung. As he watched, a luminous haze distributed itself throughout the atmosphere until the air was a mass of shining particles. "

----I adore the entity.

http://www.sacred-texts.com/eso/sta/sta08.htm

• Naguru
    Lv 7
    4 years ago

There are various theories going around about it.

Quote:

a) Aristotle - Aristotle (Greek: Ἀριστοτέλης Aristotélēs) (384 BC – 322 BC) was a Greek philosopher, a student of Plato and teacher of Alexander the Great. He wrote on diverse subjects, including physics, metaphysics, poetry (including theater), logic, rhetoric, politics, government, ethics, biology and zoology. Along with Socrates and Plato, he was among the most influential of the ancient Greek philosophers, as they transformed Presocratic Greek philosophy into the foundations of Western philosophy as it is known today. Some researchers credit Plato and Aristotle with founding two of the most important schools of ancient philosophy, while others consider Aristotelianism to be a development and concretization of Plato's insights.

b) Hermes - Hermes (Greek, Ἑρμῆς, IPA: [hɜ(r)'mis]), in Greek mythology, is the Olympian god of boundaries and of the travelers who cross them, of shepherds and cowherds, of orators and wit, of literature and poets, of athletics, of weights and measures, of invention, of commerce in general, and of the cunning of thieves and liars

c) Pythagoras - Pythagoras of Samos (Greek: Πυθαγόρας; between 580 and 572 BC–between 500 and 490 BC) was an Ionian (Greek) philosopher[1] and founder of the religious movement called Pythagoreanism. He is often revered as a great mathematician, mystic and scientist; however some have questioned the scope of his contributions to mathematics or natural philosophy. [2] His name led him to be associated with Pythian Apollo; Aristippus explained his name by saying, "He spoke (agor-) the truth no less than did the Pythian (Pyth-)," and Iamblichus tells the story that the Pythia prophesied that his pregnant mother would give birth to a man supremely beautiful, wise, and of benefit to humankind. [3]

He is best known for the Pythagorean theorem which bears his name. Known as "the father of numbers", Pythagoras made influential contributions to philosophy and religious teaching in the late 6th century BC. Because legend and obfuscation cloud his work even more than with the other pre-Socratics, one can say little with confidence about his life and teachings. We do know that Pythagoras and his students believed that everything was related to mathematics and that numbers were the ultimate reality and, through mathematics, everything could be predicted and measured in rhythmic patterns or cycles. According to Iamblichus, Pythagoras once said that "number is the ruler of forms and ideas and the cause of gods and demons."

He was the first man to call himself a philosopher, or lover of wisdom. Many of the accomplishments of Plato, Aristotle and Copernicus were based on the ideas of Pythagoras. Unfortunately, very little is known about Pythagoras because none of his writings have survived. Many of the accomplishments credited to Pythagoras may actually have been accomplishments of his colleagues and successors.

Unquote:

Hermes was one of the great philosophers.

Source(s): compiled.
  • 4 years ago

Well, some may consider, or label, him as the Father of Philosophy; however, if he really did Father any Philosophers, it would show up in their DNA.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 years ago

Considering the Greeks borrowed a lot from the Egyptian tradition. I will be choosing the Best Answer

• tami
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

Can anyone tell me what is the correct answer for this question?

• 4 years ago

He may as well be. There was none before him I suppose.

• 4 years ago

Oh goody I can't wait to see which one you'll pick.

• just
    Lv 6
    4 years ago

No. I think nature is.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.