Do conservatives even know what a liberal is?
They seem to just use it as an insult, and under no context (LOL). It just doesn't sound like an insult to me cons. Cons are all about cons and just cons (get it?).
open to new behavior or opinions and willing to discard traditional values.
"they have more liberal views toward marriage and divorce than some people"
favorable to or respectful of individual rights and freedoms.
"liberal citizenship laws"
synonyms: tolerant, unprejudiced, unbigoted, broad-minded, open-minded, enlightened; More
antonyms: narrow-minded, bigoted
(in a political context) favoring maximum individual liberty in political and social reform.
"a liberal democratic state"
synonyms: progressive, advanced, modern, forward-looking, forward-thinking, progressivist, enlightened, reformist, radical
"a liberal social agenda"
antonyms: reactionary, conservative
of or characteristic of Liberals or a Liberal Party.
(in the UK) of or relating to the Liberal Democrat Party.
"the Liberal leader"
regarding many traditional beliefs as dispensable, invalidated by modern thought, or liable to change.
(of education) concerned mainly with broadening a person's general knowledge and experience, rather than with technical or professional training.
synonyms: wide-ranging, broad-based, general
"a liberal education"
- Mr. SmartypantsLv 75 years agoFavorite Answer
Cons use a couple of logical shortcuts that make it easier for them. They have no tolerance for nuance, or 'cognitive dissonance'. The rule are:
1. Anyone you disagree with is a 'liberal', even if you just disagree on one thing. Or if you're angry with someone, you can call them a 'liberal', You don't have to justify it--they just -are-! This makes it so much easier to classify people! Hitler and Mussolini were 'liberals' and so were Stalin and Mao, and so are Hillary and Obama--so they are all just the same!
2. Anyone you call a liberal, you may assume then that he likes whatever you don't, he thinks whatever you don't, he loves whatever you hate. So once you call someone a 'liberal' he hates America and Mom and apple pie, he loves terrorism and crime, and he thinks all illegal aliens should get free health care and welfare. And he picks his toenails at the kitchen table. And he farts in the bathtub and bites at the bubbles. Basically, just whatever bad things you can think of to say.
- GEORGE BLv 75 years ago
About 50 years ago I was a campaign worker for liberals. Back then the definition of liberalism you used was fairly accurate. Today liberalism displays no interest in things like ethics and integrity.
- Bozo the ClownLv 65 years ago
That's inaccurate. Liberalism does not involve social issues, it involves only politico-economic matters.
Get a book. Oliver Cromwell invented liberalism (which is a political system, still not involving social issue), which exposed monarchy as not divinely ordained, suppressed monarchical human abuse and enslavement, and elevated peasants into the dignity of free men. If it hadn’t, you would be a peasant right now.
Therefore and as proven therein, liberalism is simply a political ideology protecting the rights of free men and the working class. If you don't know this then you don't know what you're talking about.
And Oliver Cromwell is decided by official state historians as one of the ten greatest Britons ever to have lived.
As for the social issues, the grannies in the villages can handle those.
- 5 years ago
By the past definition it would be a libertarian today. Progressives stole the term liberal to manipulate supporters to believe the opposite of what they really are.
- How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
- 5 years ago
The average conservative approaches liberalism the same way that 20th century social studies teachers approached communism: "You don't need to know what it is, just know that it's bad".
- 5 years ago
Do liberal know what a conservative is? because if they did I can guarantee they would rather be conservative than liberal if they actually understood what they were doing.
- SkepticLv 75 years ago
Not only do conservatives not understand what a liberal is, they don't understand what a socialist is, nor do they care to find out the real meaning of words. They just want to live in their bubble world of laissez-faire capitalist utopia.
- hitashLv 55 years ago
- TimLv 75 years ago
No they do not which is why none will answer this in a positive or non negative way if any do answer it
- 5 years ago
They get their comic book fantasy world from uneducated, low-IQ dope addict pederasts like Rash Loosebowels.