Dimitri asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 3 years ago

How can I make this historically plausible?

In my historical fiction novel, there are a gang of Royalist Highwayman who rob from Puritan Roundheads, shelter a community of people who want to escape from Cromwell's rule by celebrating Christmas, Maypoles, playacting etc. They would spend some of the money on themselves and their rebel community, and send most of the money to Charles II in France. Two of the gang members are Catholics (Irish and Scottish), one is a High Church minister fallen on hard times, and the rest were fallen nobles and gentry who lands and wealth were taken by the Parliamentarians.

Does that sound historically plausible? or should I do some more research on these matters.

• keith
    Favorite Answer

Read several hundred books, pet.

It's good for an historical fantasy. Throw in a few Diggers for some leavening.

Not plausible at all. Simply not. Royalists sinking to street thugs? Please NO!

• Dimitri
      3 years agoReport

Ever heard of James Hind? he was a Royalist Highwayman