Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMaintenance & Repairs Β· 4 years ago

What could be wrong with my truck coolant system?

I drive a 1999 Dodge Ram 1500 and a few things have gone wrong with my coolant system that make me fear something I cant pinpoint has caused all of it. First one of my heater hoses busted while I was driving. I fixed it and my water pump seal failed while I was driving it. I got a new water pump, fan clutch, and thermostat to be safe. Then I started driving without any issues for five weeks. I had a loose spring hose clamp that kept leaking on my upper radiator hose and after it blew completely off yesterday I replaced it with an adjustable clamp. Then literally one mile up the road I started hearing a strange sound every time I accelerated. I pulled into a gas station and looked underneath to see both valve cover seals steaming. I'll be replacing them shortly but Im certain something else is causing severe pressure inside my coolant system which is bursting through the seals. I suspect a clogged radiator. Please only respond if you have a helpful answer. I've seen so many people reply ''take it to a mechanic' or ''idk''. Any one with a similar problem or mechanical experience out there? Thanks.'

Favorite Answer

The pressure effects make me suspect the head gasket is bad. You can do a quick check: with the engine cold, remove the radiator cap and start the engine. Pinch closed the hose that runs from the radiator neck to the reservoir, and put the palm of your hand over the radiator neck where the cap was. If you feel steadily rising pressure within 5 seconds the head gasket on one or both sides is probably bad and a "block test" by a mechanic is in order.

I should also mention the details of what happened shortly after I saw my valve cover seals steaming. I let the truck cool down a bit and started feeling where the heat was. The upper radiator hose looked like it was ready to burst and was hot as hell, but the top of the radiator itself was cool to the touch. I got a towel and opened the radiator cap to release pressure and lots of air and some hot coolant gushed out. Immediately after doing that, the top of my radiator was boiling hot.

I would just bring it to a mechanic to find out for certain.

• Dean4 years agoReport

THat is a very obvouse option. Why do people like you comment with such useless advice?

its a Fiat product. Fiat owns: Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Lancia, Alfa Romeo, Ferrari, Maserati, RAM, and SRT. I would call Fiat headquarters since they are the actual owners of it. if you call Dodge, they would say something that isn't right. just call Fiat HeadQuarters.

Check the engine.

• Dean4 years agoReport

So, you dont know much about mechanics I assume?