I don't know why I'm afraid?

As a kid I was afraid of the dark (understandable). But as an 18 year old, it is highly concerning that I am still quite afraid of being in the dark. I don't know why it never went away and I cannot think of any trauma related to it. I can sleep in the dark as long as an animal or another human is in the room... show more As a kid I was afraid of the dark (understandable). But as an 18 year old, it is highly concerning that I am still quite afraid of being in the dark. I don't know why it never went away and I cannot think of any trauma related to it. I can sleep in the dark as long as an animal or another human is in the room with me, but if I am alone, it's not an option. I am also afraid of power outages for pretty much the same reason. Everytime we have power issues/outages, my heart races and my body shakes and I go into a mini panic. I know in the back of my mind that why I'm panicking is illogical, but my body doesn't seem to know the difference between the dark and potential death. I know it sounds stange, because it is. I just feel so helpless. I had a nightmare tonight surrounding my lights not turning on when I needed them and it really freaked me out. I just want this to stop.
3 answers 3