Caleb
Lv 4
Caleb asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 4 years ago

Is 16 years too old to read Young Adult literature?

I'm a 16 year old boy, and I must say I really enjoy certain young adult novels (John Green, Rainbow Rowell, etc.) Since the majority of my classmates do not read period, I find it hard to figure out whether I should have outgrown this category by now. What do you all think?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Joss
    Lv 7
    4 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Of course not. You're still a young teen (hard to believe at 16, but you are), and YA books are for teens. You shouldn't have a problem finding characters your age and older starring in YA books and that's because it's for teens, so the characters will be teens, too.

I didn't move on from YA books until I was 19, and then I read my first adult book. I'm back to reading a bit of everything now - children's, YA, New Adult, and Adult.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 4 years ago

I think you should read what you enjoy reading and not worry about what other people think. Reading should be fun. But if you don't feel at ease discussing it with your classmates, best not to. You could always try reading something a bit more adult now and again, perhaps some science fiction or mysteries or adventure stories or something? My husband really likes Clive Cussler for instance, and i think he started reading them probably when he was about your age. Not saying it's necessary, but it is always a good thing to try different authors.

• Caleb
      Lv 4
      4 years agoReport

Most of my classmates don't really read anything, young adult or otherwise, so I can't really discuss books with them. Anyway, thanks for the suggestion; I'll consider reading some "adult" sci-fi or mystery stories like you suggested.

• Blah
    Lv 6
    4 years ago

lol I'm 19 and sometimes I still go back to the books I read when I was 12, and I certainly still read YA and probably will for a very long time.

• 4 years ago

No. I've read books that are YA and I'm in my 60's.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    4 years ago

No, it's not too old. I'm 60 and I read and enjoy John Green novels.

• 4 years ago

Nope. I'm in my mid-30s and still occasionally read YA books.

• 4 years ago

no rules here. read whatever you want. i'm 52 and am currently reading a kids book and I love it. it's called the secret garden. read on my friend

• 4 years ago

Read whatever you want. I was 36 when I read the Harry Potter books.

• 4 years ago

No, not all all. You can be 90 and still like YA.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.